Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a used Smart and have been very happy with it except for 1 thing: The Glove Box had been removed. The online listing said that it included a locking glove box, but there was nothing there but empty space. I really wanted this locking glove box because I need a place to secure my belongings in my car. So, as a part of the deal, they agreed to buy and replace the part. This was all included in the paperwork when the sale was made.

Problem is, now they're trying to screw me out of it, insisting that there isn't supposed to be a glove box and that no such thing exists. I was able to find the locking glove boxes for sale pretty easily (especially easy since the salesman himself had found them with me prior to making the sale), but one result I came up with linked to an archived thread from this forum (which I can't link to due to post-count) brought up the very important fact that it would need to be ordered to fit my existing key. Where and how would I look to order one which has a lock to match my key? I can find a lot of used parts, but nothing really indicates how I'd get them to match my key. I'm hoping to be able to send them this link to hopefully put an end to this nonsense and get them to order the part they advertised and promised.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
Where and how would I look to order one which has a lock to match my key? I can find a lot of used parts, but nothing really indicates how I'd get them to match my key.
Not sure this replacement is plug and play as somewhere I recall that it may require dash removal?

Glove boxes are easily found but the old barrel/tumbler would need to be replaced by a new one (keyed to your VIN?) from your smart Center.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If this is a used, smart 451 (2008 to 2015) gas car, then no worries. It's an easy job to do yourself, and the glove box part is obtainable at very reasonable cost. You can grab a used one and install it in 5 minutes. Seriously. The dealer should install it if it was originally included with a glove box, but it is possible you had a model that never technically included one. Many Car2Go cars didn't have glove boxes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have an ex car2go without a glove box and thought it was a major job to remove the dash to get one in. Am I wrong in that thinking? I would think the OP's dealer found out that it isn't as easy to install as they thought....

·
Registered
92 Posts
The glove box door attaches with two sliding plastic pins. 30 second job. Did that myself to repaint the trim. Unless it's missing the whole section, then I have no idea.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe the insert on a non gloved boxed car is different. I do not have the holes where I can snap in the door. I do believe the dash has to come out to install the proper "inner" portion that would have the holes for the hinge and the cut out for the lock latch.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I believe the insert on a non gloved boxed car is different. I do not have the holes where I can snap in the door. I do believe the dash has to come out to install the proper "inner" portion that would have the holes for the hinge and the cut out for the lock latch.
If it's a non-glove-boxed car, then you'll have to replace the entire dash. If my memory serves me correctly, it is not molded in a way that will accept a glovebox.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
here's what I found on EVILUTION site regarding glove box on the 451.

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

Doesn't look terribly complicated to install?

From the last item, it appears that a new lock cylinder can be ordered from smart keyed to existing?

I like the cooler option, might have to try that one myself?

NOTE: EVILUTION is UK based, so some details are RIGHT HAND DRIVE specific and smart UK might offer options that smartUSA doesn't (or won't).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car2go... Do they have a history of going to a city and folding if things do not work out? A dealership here in Sacramento purchased 10 identical 2015 passions, though they do not have all of the typical passion features I think. Mine had only 13 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I was told it was a rental previously and the company went out of business. I seem to remember hearing the cars came from Southern California.

INCLUDED - Leather heated seats, power doors & windows. Factory nav.

NO - Arm rests, Plexi sun roof, Glove box, Sport wheels (has ugly bone stock steel rims)

At first I didn't think the missing glove box door would be a bother. But I'm going to spend the $100 I have seen them for from a guy in So Cal for slightly used and install one. I can't have my coffee fill up cards and music thumb drives flying all over the place if I hit the brakes hard! heh

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
Car2go... Do they have a history of going to a city and folding if things do not work out? I was told it was a rental previously and the company went out of business.

INCLUDED - Leather heated seats, power doors & windows. Factory nav.

NO - Arm rests, Plexi sun roof, Glove box, Sport wheels (has ugly bone stock steel rims)
C2G is a subsidiary of Daimler AG providing car sharing. No, The Company has not gone out of business.

As of March 2015, C2G operated over 13,000 vehicles serving eight countries and 29 cities worldwide with over 1,000,000 customers. Users are charged by the minute, with hourly and daily rates available.

Your equipment list is typical as the C2G smarts appear to be purpose (rental) built and are registered as a "Commercial Vehicle." As such, it appears some or all have the glove box DELETED at build. A post-build glove box installation may require dash removal?

C2G smarts being resold as previously (1-owner) owned are off-auction from The Daimler Subsidiary not MB-FS. Most/all? re-sales will be done by non M-B/smart dealerships.

Attachments

·
17,479 Posts
On early European 451s, a locking glovebox was an option. Without it, you just got a blank shelf, sort of mirroring the driver's side of the vehicle. Many of the Car2Go models have these glovebox-less setups. If such is the case, mister_smart_LA is right on point, there won't be any easy way to replace that door without buying a new dash moulding. :(

The Car2Go models were interesting like that. They were basically pures with without wheel covers and a few passion level adornments. The Car2Go EDs are equally as weird too. :)

Reactions: Smart Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes finding that out. And thats spot on there "basically pures with without wheel covers and a few passion level adornments". Some things like the plexi roof and arm rest I think I can do without. But the glove box I think will bother me. In the next few months I will be replacing the factory nav deck with hopefully an Android based one (suggestions would be much appreciated!). I figure since I will have the deck out anyway, I should spend a day or 5 on the dash for the glove box. This also gives me a chance to route some wiring for future under dash lighting and properly feathered in USB and AUX inputs. Also got a train horn to put in I want to put the toggle in one of the blank spaces in the switch bar that has the seat heater buttons. May also be a good time to pre wire for a tach as well. If I plan it all out right, this should be the only time I have to crack open the dash in 2016! smh only 3 months left.... lol

·
17,479 Posts
Ah, sounds like you have similar projects I used to have. My last big project was installing a start button and doing my own ambient lighting...but I shall save one of those projects for whenever I get a 453.

The cute part is that all the wiring for the start button is all there. If anyone ever removes the roof panel and the driver's side A-Pillar panel, they'll discover themselves some interesting wiring that terminates right at the SAM for no explainable reason. :D

Reactions: scottyb1001

·
Registered
883 Posts
The glovebox just becomes another 'closet' and a mess after a short time. The pano roof is interesting - I rarely slide the shade on mine, even after fussing with the dealer to replace the crazed / hazed one. Put money into some good speakers and possibly a powered sub (behind the drivers seat is a good mounting spot for a slim unit).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts