Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came to work this morning to find glass all over the ground and the driver side window smashed in. Not a good start to my Saturday at work...

The instrument cluster / speedo was detached and that was the only thing missing from the smart. The thief knew exactly what they wanted and what to use it for. My guess is that person had a Grey Market smart with the Euro instrument cluster / speedo and wanted to change it out with a US version.

After cleaning out the glass and the police writing the report, I tried to start her up and she will not start with out the instrument cluster / speedo attached to the harness. Needless to say I had to get it flat-bedded down to my service center... Did I mention this was all in the torrential pouring rain :mad:

Also, this smart did not have factory alarm as an option.

smart centers, lock-up your smarts and have security... I guess my security guard fell asleep :rofl:

Danny M. Wong
smart center Edison, NJ
Sales & Leasing Consultant
[email protected]
Tel: 732-549-6601
Fax: 732-549-6983

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hate to hear that! Glad I didn't want those pods on mine now. One less thing I have to worry about someone trying to steal.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hate to hear that! Glad I didn't want those pods on mine now. One less thing I have to worry about someone trying to steal.
Looks like they left the pods (which I love by the way :)) and took the instrument clusters - I think you want those ;)

That really stinks - those "security" guys are :censored:

·
Super Moderator
28,689 Posts
Danny, bad news about the break in; the good news is it looks like the instrument cluster is pretty easy to remove if somebody needs to do it. I'll refrain from any comments about LoJack, factory installed alarms and rent-a-cop security at this point. :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Okay. Dumb blonde moment. Yes I want the insturment cluster. Read that and translated it into "pods" in my head.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'll bet it will end up in some rice racer '92 Civic.

At least they were nice enough to unplug it and not cut the harness.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Looks like they knew what they were doing. I would also keep my eyes out on eBay or for any modified dash assemblies for sale.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Man I picked up my Smart the night before at Smart Edison.

Hopefully the Smart alarm system will scare away someone from doing this to mine. But then again these look like pros and nothing really deters them. Danny what a way to start the day. Hay doesn't that complex have cameras...say smile? Hopefully they will find the guys who did this. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
450 converted to 451 dash

If someone puts it in 450 it want take long for word to get around. Just not that many 450's in the states. Can you say proof of purchase. That is what I like about this site sharing of information. The person that ends up with yours is as much a scumbag as the one who ripped it off. Hope repairs don't take long.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Silly thief

My understanding from some of the service bulletins is that the instrument cluster is vin encoded and would need to have the STAR diagnostic equipment ($25k US) to get it to work. Even if they get it to work, the original VIN stays with the cluster so it is easy to trace if it was ever to find its way into a smart center service department or if someone tries to sell it on craigslist or ebay. Unfortunately, the unknowing buyer will probably be the one that is hassled.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am always amazed that people just do what they want without regard for others! I hope they catch who did it and take all their stuff!

Sorry to hear it happened Danny!

·
Registered
317 Posts
bit my toung

As a 450 owner (who is at the income level needed to afford a G&K converted 450 Smart) took GREAT offense to the "off the cuff comment to the effect that it must of been a 450 owner who did the damage" I can assure you sir only 10% of our parts are compatible, and of those 10 % A SPEEDO IS not ONE OF THEM.

So may I suggest, prior to you blaming a group of auto owners who may have paid up to 2X the current price for current cars, yo look for a more likely cause of your damage, what ever that may be.

A TWEAKED

ASM

·
Registered
131 Posts
That cluster won't even fit in a 450 model, so that leaves out the grey market crowd.
It has been rumored that some gray market 451s have made there way here from across the pond but are not being sold yet because of the conversion. I don’t know why any dealer would waste their time because they are still going to be $25k+???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts