Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will be for any dealership changes as a result of the transitions.

Starters: first known dealership that will be independent.
Jacksonville smart car dealer to stay after Mercedes-Benz takes over U.S. operation

Jacksonville smart car dealer to stay after Mercedes-Benz takes over U.S. operation | jacksonville.com

"...Mercedes-Benz spokesman Geoff Day said the dealers to be released from contracts will be independents, not theirs.
"The transition will occur over the next four months," Day said. "It makes more sense to move forward with dealers that are not Mercedes-Benz. We can deal better with a Mercedes-Benz dealer."
Smart center Jacksonville is part of the Brumos Motor Cars network, which has Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus dealerships in Arlington and Jacksonville's Westside. Mercedes-Benz of Orange Park general manager Jeff Bender, also dealer operator for smart, said he wasn't concerned to learn Penske was transferring operations to Mercedes.
"We are staying with the fold," Bender said. "It is how they do it in the rest of the world and matches with the way the way they do business worldwide."..."

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tucson, AZ smart car Dealership

Mercedes Benz of Tucson will be the new smart car dealership in Tucson. They are presently located on Speedway but will be moving to their new location on Grant on July 1. At that time, they will be selling and servicing the smart car.

Stop by and introduce yourselves to them at their current location.

smart center of Chandler it has been great working with you, but it will be great having a dealership closer to home.

·
aka 'spice'
115 Posts
First publicity for Jacksonville smart in...forever. Let's hope they make the most out of it while they can.

MJB

·
aka 'spice'
115 Posts
Florida Times-Union reply

FYI Y'all. Here's my 2 cents for the Jax 'nay-sayers'. Posted to the Jacksonville Paper.

"I own one and my wife and I feel safe in the smart and drive it on the expressways with no problem. You have to just sit in the car to realize it's got the most room inside of any 'micro car'. When you drive it you don't feel like it's small at all. The 'test drive' is what sold us on it, and the bonus is it's a Mercedes-Benz Brand.

I invite anyone that wants to know the real story on the smart forTwo, to contact any of us owners. For first hand knowledge. (and NO I do don't sell them, I am a owner.)

spiceJax 2009 smart passion Tinyurl.com/jaxsmart [email protected]":megaphone:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just talked to the Folks at Wilde Jaguar who ran the Smart Centre in Sarasota. They are losing the brand and will be closing the Smart Centre. It may or may not be picked up by The AutoHaus across the road that just opened their new building.

·
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know when orlando smart operations will move to MB?
Sacramento, we're losing our basketball team and what about our independent Smart dealer?
We don't know the Orlando center will physically change. When I was there in February, the staff is staying with the current dealership when the smart center closes. As for services, we are all waiting on the announcements. I would guess the same for any of the independent dealers right now.

Sorry about the team, smartdavis:sorrysign:

How will an independent get parts?
As for the parts, I don't see that changing; they will order like they do now through a smart service center for OEM or getting parts from all kinds of sources for some OEM (salvagers) or non-OEM parts.

As more MB dealers sell smarts in the future, then I would guess that access to parts is anticipated to increase.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
We don't know the Orlando center will physically change. When I was there in February, the staff is staying with the current dealership when the smart center closes. As for services, we are all waiting on the announcements. I would guess the same for any of the independent dealers right now.
i just got the email from Jill Lajdzjak saying smart Orlando is closing 5-31-11 (11 days from today)

643 Posts
If anybody is wondering, smart center West Covina will remain in operation for the foreseeable future. We will serve a large segment of the Los Angeles and SoCal area throughout and after this period of smart USA ---> Mercedes-Benz transition.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
As of this morning, Orlando had ONE 2010 white cabrio.

Anybody looking for a great deal?

But otherwise, they are closed (or closing?).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was at smart Trevose this morning. They expect to close next friday, May 27. They also have an electric smart in the showroom..for sale? I thought they were lease only, but this had a price sticker...$45,000. I think someone may be on drugs. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
smart center Stevens Creek is closing between the 15th and 30th of June :(

It would be very nice to find out what is going to happen RE our extended warrantees and maintenance contracts.

Only time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
regarding the electric drive smart.

They are LEASE ONLY.

The "equivelent sale price" (or whatever the legal wording is is?) is $45,000.

This means that if you lease one and total it, someone (you, other guy, insurance) is going to pay smart $45,000 for it.

When the next generation electric drive becomes available for purchase, the price will be WAY less. We don't have official numbers, but look at other electrics on the market except Tesla)?

·
Super Moderator
28,461 Posts
Per the thread title, please limit posts to discussing dealership change news only. Info on smart models, service, etc. needs to be posted elsewhere. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smart Center Louisville will remain open but they will no longer sell new Smarts or provide warranty work but will happily continue service on Smarts. How this is viable beats me. Maybe trying to wait it out to see if they can be an independent in the next few years. As far as I know Blackbelt Tafel Mercedes has no plans of selling Smarts.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts