Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it was a balmy 25 below today and Smartie seemed fine when I got in to drive to work. Certainly cold enough that the seat warmer and cabin heat did not go off once. When I got to work, I took the key out and opened the trunk and the motor seemed oddly weak. But I got the charger out and plugged in, but didn't here the "click click" I normally do. I glanced inside and NOTHING BUT DARKNESS. I tried turning it back on and the dash lights lit up for a second and then literally faded away, and then nothing.

Mercedes sent AAA out to give me a boost and the SECOND the 12V tender was connected, Smartie came back to life but displayed some weird error message too quickly for me to catch it (something like Brake or Batt Malfunction?) Its the original battery from 2014, so I'm wondering if the 12V battery is just dead (or close and the cold brought it to light) or if there might be something more wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
So, it was a balmy 25 below today and Smartie seemed fine when I got in to drive to work. Certainly cold enough that the seat warmer and cabin heat did not go off once. When I got to work, I took the key out and opened the trunk and the motor seemed oddly weak. But I got the charger out and plugged in, but didn't here the "click click" I normally do. I glanced inside and NOTHING BUT DARKNESS. I tried turning it back on and the dash lights lit up for a second and then literally faded away, and then nothing.

Mercedes sent AAA out to give me a boost and the SECOND the 12V tender was connected, Smartie came back to life but displayed some weird error message too quickly for me to catch it (something like Brake or Batt Malfunction?) Its the original battery from 2014, so I'm wondering if the 12V battery is just dead (or close and the cold brought it to light) or if there might be something more wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?
At a balmy 25 below, even my Subaru battery would give up to the cold. You can check your voltage across the terminals of the battery to see if it has enough to decide a replacement, and if you get it started, you can check voltage across the terminals to see if the alternator is putting out properly. Be aware too that a bad battery can drag down the whole system trying to keep it charged. Check online for the correct voltages across the terminals, they are more than 12 volts.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Valvestem,

-25C is only about -12F. (Note nonarkitten's home town)
Google says it's -13F. You're off about 7.7%! Water freezes at +32F. -13F is really cold!!!!!!!

(You from Siberia or something?) :shrug:

Battery should be under warranty, no? I'd get it checked if the tender brought the car back to life...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Note that I wrote "about".

And did you really have to use Google to do the conversion? Its F = 32- 9C/5 or C = 32+ 5C/9.

Considering all the "fake news" that Google sends you to in this post-truth era, who know what their formula was!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
"Only". Certainly cold enough for me. :D
Yeah, but surely it gets to or below -25C fairly often in Calgary eh?

The difference for me is that where I live I will probably have to start a car at -25C one or two times every winter - but -25F is rare enough that I don't plan on having to reliably start a car with an old battery in that.

Then again, the Smart ED does not need a hundred amps to to "start" like an IC engine - so your battery must have been drained completely flat from something and the electrolyte froze.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Note that I wrote "about".

And did you really have to use Google to do the conversion? Its F = 32- 9C/5 or C = 32+ 5C/9.

Considering all the "fake news" that Google sends you to in this post-truth era, who know what their formula was!
You caught me. I was never good at converting between the two. Instead of looking up the formula and then finding my calculator and then plugging in the numbers, I just ask Google. "-25C in F" and it spits it out.

It wasn't wrong, was it? ?

Please don't point out, "You need a calculator for that!". I'll say I'm trying to save paper....

Cold is cold. Very cold is still very cold, even though it may get even colder......

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
lol had a -38c night last winter and in the morning i just started the car using the remote starter.. it cranked a bit longer and made some strange noises afterwards but it started!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just delt with this on my battery after leaving the car untouched for about a week the battery drew down enough that didn't fire just cranked slow a few times then clicked.. to my luck I tossed a battery maintainer on it and something glitched out and drove the battery down to 7 volts and she froze.. had to get a new battery and bought a oil pan heater couple days ago to help since last week westher was well into the -30s celcius at night. Hoping it all works.. going to wire the maintainer in with the block heater so keeps the battery up over night and keeps the motor warm.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts