Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2008 Passion (134,000+ miles) has suddenly started to apparently lose cylinders and power and will put out a cloud of oil smoke so large and dense that it is nearly impossible to see behind after idle or one of the severe misfires and the shifting will get hard (once it even locked in 1st). and then at higher rpms/speed it will drive like normal and no smoke....

the time it locked in 1st and wouldn't even turn over to start i had to walk home to get help to tow it, and when i got back to it it started right up.... and i drove it home.

it would seem to me that the problem is electrical rather than mechanical. i had to install a new battery just before this all started so i don't know if this is simply a coincidence or not. i relearned the transmission but that didn't help; i don't know if there is any other relearning for the ECM itself.

maybe it's time to say goodbye to a good friend, hope not....

Bill

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the smoke, I can't imagine any way that a battery would cause such a symptom (without a fire).
It's possible that you could have a failed head gasket, that can make enormous clouds of white/grey smoke.
Depending on the cause it may be repairable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke is definitely blue oil smoke and it seems to get a short term massive infusion sometime around or above idle. When the engine is running smoothly there is no smoke

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
just went out and started it, now there is white smoke with a hint of oil in it. OBD reader shows a P0303 code (but i've seen that in the past...)

if it is a purely mechanical problem, and an engine is reasonable $$, then it might be worthwhile saving the car. what engines will fit? and are there instructions or videos on swapping the engine?

a purely mechanical problem doesn't explain why it finally decided to stay in 1st gear and not shift and when i pulled into a parking lot to turn it off and restart (to see if it would reset) it would not even turn over. when i went back later it started like normal. one time before it lost ALL gears and was in neutral in any gear selection... i went out the next day and it drove as normal...

:unsure:

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
just went out and started it, now there is white smoke with a hint of oil in it. OBD reader shows a P0303 code (but i've seen that in the past...)

if it is a purely mechanical problem, and an engine is reasonable $$, then it might be worthwhile saving the car. what engines will fit? and are there instructions or videos on swapping the engine?

a purely mechanical problem doesn't explain why it finally decided to stay in 1st gear and not shift and when i pulled into a parking lot to turn it off and restart (to see if it would reset) it would not even turn over. when i went back later it started like normal. one time before it lost ALL gears and was in neutral in any gear selection... i went out the next day and it drove as normal...

:unsure:

Bill
I have had this problem. It is your PCV valve. It is stuck open and when you sit at a stop light where there is max vacuum behind the throttle plate it will pull oil in to the intake manifold way down at the bottom. Once you open the throlle to accelerate away, the rush of air through the intake forces the oil that accumulated into the engine and will foul plug(s) and make it run rough until it clears up. The PCV value is a PIA to get to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you know of a picture or diagram of the PCV location? it's a jungle in there....

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is the little orange thing to the left side of the picture. This pic was taken with the intake manifold removed. If you PM me I will give you my phone number and explain what I did to remedy the problem. I would be hard to put in print and there would be several follow up questions I'm sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my 2008 Passion (134,000+ miles) has suddenly started to apparently lose cylinders and power and will put out a cloud of oil smoke so large and dense that it is nearly impossible to see behind after idle or one of the severe misfires and the shifting will get hard (once it even locked in 1st). and then at higher rpms/speed it will drive like normal and no smoke....

the time it locked in 1st and wouldn't even turn over to start i had to walk home to get help to tow it, and when i got back to it it started right up.... and i drove it home.

it would seem to me that the problem is electrical rather than mechanical. i had to install a new battery just before this all started so i don't know if this is simply a coincidence or not. i relearned the transmission but that didn't help; i don't know if there is any other relearning for the ECM itself.

maybe it's time to say goodbye to a good friend, hope not....

Bill
My 2008 Passion with 125, 700 miles on it started blowing out a tremendous amount of white/light grey smoke when starting away from a full stop and it ran like crap until it gained speed and then smoothed out only to repeat again at the next full stop. I took it to the smart/MB dealer and it needed a new head because the head gasket was blown. Not a cheap repair. $5200

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2008 Passion with 125, 700 miles on it started blowing out a tremendous amount of white/light grey smoke when starting away from a full stop and it ran like crap until it gained speed and then smoothed out only to repeat again at the next full stop. I took it to the smart/MB dealer and it needed a new head because the head gasket was blown. Not a cheap repair. $5200
:eek: i didn't pay that much for my 2008 when i bought it, and the 2009 i recently bought was almost half that price....

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts