Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have batt recuperation paddles and when I use them, (which is all the time) the car slows down so drastically that I am afraid some one is going to hit me from the rear. I am thinking about installing a LED strip (orange) to flash when I decelerate. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
.the economical way to go will be the LED strip that has the bulbs on the very edge of the strip...mounted right under the rear window seal and rear door will make it totally stealth...a 1/8hole will bee nought to bring the wires into the rear door...follow the original wire harness and bring inside to connect to upper brake light...not side brake lights since they will flash when turn signal is selected for whatever side you tap into..

Jetfuel...hope this helps

·
17,345 Posts
Apparently not...which I guess makes sense to me...

It would be funny to watch EVs put on their brake lights every time the drivers let off the accelerator. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Just looking at jet's suggestion and the OP would have to find something other than brake light wiring to hook into if they want a deceleration warning. Maybe one of those "This vehicle makes sudden stops" signs would work.....:)

·
17,345 Posts
I thought the quick brake tap thing was a good idea. Gets their attention and doesn't completely ruin regen.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Hey...I just said where to put the LED strip...now...as to how to power it without using the brakes is also easy...

Jetfuel...south of the border engineering

·
Registered
521 Posts
5 months driving around with regen paddles haven't had a problem. Majority of cars notice my slowing down, sometimes i tap the brake if a car gets close but not often. Its really not hard to figure out if a car is slowing down without seeing brake lights go on.

And dont put a cheap led strip that flashes lol it will make you look special.... ED.... you dont want that. :D

·
17,345 Posts
When I hypermile I often coast and engine brake down to about 10mph before actually applying brakes. I've yet to have an issue where someone didn't notice me slowing down... :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
From the accounts of the ICE smart owners, brake lights are no guarantee that someone is not going to run into you. The careless driver is usually not paying enough attention to notice brake lights or not.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is only one animal (person who beats traffic) or two that drive recklessly in one going to work or going home. I avoid them. As soon as I see them thru my mirror I move to let them pass me. The majority of drivers are very nice on sharing the road.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
....From the accounts of the ICE smart owners, brake lights are no guarantee...
....but are the second best weapon you have to avoid getting hit...
...you've seen my lights...they do a very good job at letting people know what my intentions are...
...the first weapon to avoid a collision is cleanliness...head lights...tail and stop lights and above all a clean windshield....inside and out...
...you can be the best of drivers out there but if you can't see them coming then is game over...

Jetfuel...clean glasses too:wink:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Not necessary where I drive. I'm usually in traffic, which means I have to come to a complete stop frequently. Cars behind me will notice I have working brake lights. If they are roaring up on me when I decelerate, then they are too close, and their insurance companies aren't going to like them too much...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not necessary where I drive. I'm usually in traffic, which means I have to come to a complete stop frequently. Cars behind me will notice I have working brake lights. If they are roaring up on me when I decelerate, then they are too close, and their insurance companies aren't going to like them too much...

I drive in an area daily where under-insured and non-insured drivers are common. I have seen collisions where both people get out, talk for a couple minutes then both leave the scene quickly. I actually ran in to a guy one day who hopped out of his vehicle and said “look, I can’t have the cops called...mind if I take off?” I bent his bumper and he wasn’t worried about it. When I said that I would at least like to pay for his bumper and asked for his phone number he just said that he had to go. So I’m hoping to avoid that collision scenario all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts