Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide which oil to get for my 2013 2for Smart Pure(that's a 451 right?). The used dealership I bought it from used 5W30 synthetic but I don't know the brand they used.
I see that Canadian Tire has a sale on Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic Oil in that grade. Looking on the lists on the forum Quaker State European Synthetic is mentioned as approved, but it is not Quaker State Ultimate. I live in Southern Ontario if location matters.

Edit: also what filter should I get?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Oil should meet MB 229.5 specification.

Mostly 5W-40, a few 0W-40, and even fewer 0W-30 oils meet this specification.

Mobil 1 Euro, Castrol Edge, both in 0W-40, and Pennzoil Euro.

Pennzoil is my favorite, it comes in two flavors, 5W-40, and a 0W-40.

For Canada, I would stick with a 0W-40.
It is also bottled as Shell Helix, and Quaker State Euro.

Careful, there are a lot of truck oils which look the same as Euro oil, but are for trucks, not Smarts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Oil filter is Fram 6607 / Purolator 14612, M1-108.

Oversize, a third longer, is Fram 7317, Purolator 14610, M1-110.

I have used oversize filters for 5+ years.

When using oversize, oil capacity is exactly 4 quarts. 3.7 with standard filter...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil should meet MB 229.5 specification.

Mostly 5W-40, a few 0W-40, and even fewer 0W-30 oils meet this specification.

Mobil 1 Euro, Castrol Edge, both in 0W-40, and Pennzoil Euro.

Pennzoil is my favorite, it comes in two flavors, 5W-40, and a 0W-40.

For Canada, I would stick with a 0W-40.
It is also bottled as Shell Helix, and Quaker State Euro.

Careful, there are a lot of truck oils which look the same as Euro oil, but are for trucks, not Smarts.

Thanks that is helpful

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Mobil 1 0W-40 I use has a green cap and comes on sale at Canadian Tire and Parts Source (owned by Canadian Tire) fairly regularly. I typically stock up on a a few jugs when they go on sale.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I contacted Shell maybe 20 years ago asking about shelf life for transmission oil. Was Dino, not syn. I was told 5 years. A close friend stored a case of Mobil 1 oil in his garage on the cement floor a number of years ago. He lived in an area where temps went well below freezing in the Winter. When I was visiting we opened a bottle. It was sludge! Oil was at least 5 yrs old. True story!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts