Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to post multiple times but this thread will have lots of mods going on soon along with fixing things. To start having headlights sent out for RGB halos at oracle this week. They are going to remove orange side markers along with placing dual halo rings. Thinking about having them paint housing but still deciding. Along with this mod comes grill lighting. Going to do some RGB glow along with some possible LEDs on front lower facia. While front facia is off going to have it re painted to get rid of rock chips and such from previous owner.

When diving in noticed the crash bar was well crashed lol or bent some how. Nothing else bent ie frame or other items but will be replacing with new bar so even. You can see in photo one side bent.

New Washer reservoir will be placed.

Wiring for RGB halos and front lighting wired to custom switches coming to inside so stay tuned...

Will also be wiring up footwells and some other lighting options.

New hella horns will be going in.

Stay tuned

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you will do pictures along the way. Don't make us bring out the boys. :D
No worries will be posting photos for sure...:D

Progress today 9/8/2014

Today was able to pick up a new Crash bar from local Stealership...They wanted $120...also picked up new windshield wiper resevior since old one was leaking ( $70) and plastic radiator shroud piece ( $36)

Headlights shipped to Oracle for RGB rings and RGB wiring looms ordered.

Here is some photos of front end off...Will be posting photos as putting back together...In a nut shell take off the same way as putting on..

Here is where we are at

In this photo front end removed to expose the headlights for removal. Headlight held in place by three little screws.

Can see front end to the right and old crash bar that was damage from previos owner some how????

Here is an image with the entire front framed remove to get good access to windshield washer resevior

·
17,352 Posts
Great progress! I reckon the previous owner hit something and replaced the panels themselves...and completely ignored the crash bar...

Do you think one can add lighting to the grille without removing the front panels?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
May want to upgrade that pithy little bicycle horn with a more manly horn while you're in that deep?

OOPS, overlooked your project list - "New hella horns will be going in."

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great progress! I reckon the previous owner hit something and replaced the panels themselves...and completely ignored the crash bar...

Do you think one can add lighting to the grille without removing the front panels?
I agree the previous owner hit something and just replaced the front panels, but didnt worry about the crash bar or the side skirts. There is no other frame damage that I can see, but whatever he hit or ran up on caused a couple of the side skirt clips to pop off as well. The dealership did give me a good deal on new side skirts, but those are not cheap. At this point attempting to replacing items that should have been replaced when repaired. One reason I hate buying used, but knew going in a couple things needed to be done.

As for "Mods" I tend to go overboard. The goal "do right the fist time" without spending more $$ later wishing something was different..

As for adding lights to the grill area it can be done without removing front panels. However, with the panels off its much easier...Now that I have removed them I could do quickly and easliy. Its really not much involved but loosening a coulpe of screws and push plugs..

When I start putting back together will give ideas for best placement to light up the grill. Normally the crash bar is perfect for this. In my Camaro I have LEDs on the bottom and top of crash bar. This illuminates part of the ground along with flooding grill area nicely. With the Panels on running the wiring could be the most challenging. I plan on running my wire looms through the big grommet under stearing column. You can kinda see it here

FYI where the red arrows are thats where the windshield wiper bottle sits...Makes it really tight getting wire in while in place

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
17,352 Posts
With the Panels on running the wiring could be the most challenging. I plan on running my wire looms through the big grommet under stearing column. You can kinda see it here

FYI where the red arrows are thats where the windshield wiper bottle sits...Makes it really tight getting wire in while in place

That's where I run all of my wire! For the best results, I recommend wiring your halos (and whatever else you plan on having as a sort of DRL) to R4 on the SAM.

Your other lighting can go into the other free slots, but that's considering they'll be wired to switches too. You could even convert empty spaces on the button bank to work as actual switches.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Acutally all the lighting ie Grill, Halos and other LEDs all will be on independent switches of each other. This will allow total control of whats on/off around the car.

This is what I use in my Camaro and works out very nicely. However trying to come up with something in the smart that is functional. Tough beinig so small but have some ideas.

The controller for the LED's might give better options as well.

·
17,352 Posts
That looks awesome!

Depending on how many empty slots are on yours, you can use the car's button bank! All you have to do is shave down the little peg on the back of the button of your choice. Bam, a button! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks awesome!

Depending on how many empty slots are on yours, you can use the car's button bank! All you have to do is shave down the little peg on the back of the button of your choice. Bam, a button! :)

Funny you posted this...I would love to use a button on there, but unsure how to make that work or hook up. Any where to read up more or a DYI on how to make button work to turn on Halos.

·
17,352 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changed out the windshield washer bottle. This was a pain in the A$$ even with the entire front end removed.

You will need two tools as seen below in 10mm. Held in place by two bolt/nuts. One is located up high behind the wiper motor and other down low underneath wire grommet going into car. I suggest removing the wire to the wiper motor for easier access to bolt up high as seen in photos below. The bolt down low is really tough to get access to. Using the extension made this a lot easier.

Bolt located up higher behind wiper motor mechanism

Bolt down low by wire loom

Tools used to access

Back in place you can see the tight fit...Dont forget to take out the windshield wiper bottle motor off the bottle...It just lifts up and out

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In this photo re installed the A frame back in place...The new radiator plastic housing is in place and looks much better. New crash bar also installed. Everything lined up perfectly which made me feel much better.

Photos of the frame off car...The plasitc radiator shroud was bent and all out of shape...This is the new one in place.

Old shroud beside the new radiator shroud...Cost at dealer around $36

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Test fitting of RGB rings by oracle lighting of Houston.

With the upper reflector not being completely round some removing of LEDs needed to occur to get desired look.

With using RGB LEDs little more complicated with certain colors needing to show/mix for proper coloring. Looking online noticed other halo smart users having similar issue but cutting housing to get close but still maintaining small C shape.

The bottom Halo will be completely round. What's going to help is having the housing painted flat black and will help blend it all together.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Couple more items to add to the mod list currently underway

CAI from madness

The hella horns and euro vanity

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since headlights coming on Monday I decided to pre wire last evening.

I am using a system that was develop by Night Owl to control all the lighting around the car. Joe is the owner/creater and the system is literally the BEST on the market.. In short it allows you to have ultimate contrl over your LED/lighting around the car with an Iphone/Andriod device. The wifi is a secure connection with password protection. Excited to be the first smart car in the World to use his system.

How it works

In a nut shell the system is made up of a Master Controller and Modules. The Iphone communicates with the the Master Controller which sends signals to the SL modules on my system.

To dive in a little further the SL boxes have 4 RGB channels.

For example--- the drivers side lartger halo occupies one channel, the smaller halo occupies another channel and then passenger side larger and smaller one occupy the other two.
By doing this you have total control over each Halo. You can adjust the color, brightness and other functions seperatly of each. Options are endless and can fine tune colors within the app as well.

I will include the link to his site below. Hands down the best customer service. Standup guy. I use his products on my show Camaro.

Another great feature is expandibility...You can add up to several SL boxes to control Foot wells or other LEDS around the car.

Wiring into the SL box----Excuse the shorts and feet lol

Still have lots of cleaning up to do, but mounted in glove box for easy access and wiring. I hardly ever use a glove box so worked out well. Same location in my Camaro

Spot in glove box. Sl box will cover hole

Wires to drivers side headlight and grill lights

This is the Master module that can be conneted to cig for power or tap into fuse. This has a secure connection so no other signals hacking in. I attend lots of shows with Camaro and biggest issue with guys with lights is controllers not being secure. Funny to watch guys scramble when guy next to him changing his lights with his remote.

Extreem but shows what can be done.

Website

NightOwl LED Systems

1 - 20 of 24 Posts