Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As taken from the Daimler "Introduction into Service Manual." Note, deenergization via vehicle diagnosis (DAS) is suggested for R & R of the 12V traction battery.

To allow repair and service operations to be performed without any risk of electric shock, the high-voltage on-board electrical system must be deenergized and protected against reactivation. The deenergization and restart must be documented in a vehicle power disable event log and vehicle initial startup log. The logs must be stored with the vehicle repair documents. The high-voltage on-board electrical system is deenergised via vehicle diagnosis (DAS).

Pulling out the Service Disconnect plug underneath the instrument panel in the left footwell physically interrupts the actuation of the contactors of the high-voltage battery. The empty slot is protected against reinsertion by a lock.

Note - When a high-voltage on-board electrical system has been deenergised, only the repair and maintenance
operations which made the deenergisation necessary should be performed. All high-voltage relevant repairs and maintenance operations should be designed as separate procedures so that the vehicle is not put in a condition which could affect restarting of the high-voltage on-board electrical system because multiple operations are in progress
simultaneously.

Deenergisation for operations where deenergisation is required

UNDERSIDE OF VEHICLE

Remove/install electric motor with power electronics YES
Remove/install transmission YES
Remove/install integral support YES
Remove/install axle tube YES
Remove/install high-voltage battery YES
Remove/install refrigerant compressor YES
Remove/install high-voltage adapter plate fuse box YES
Remove/install on-board charger YES
High-voltage lines YES

OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE

Remove/install charger feed-in socket (charge socket) YES

VEHICLE INTERIOR

12 V battery YES
Remove/install restraint systems YES
Remove/install interior high-voltage lines YES
Remove/install air distribution box YES

·
Registered
84 Posts
'12v battery yes' - Ample evidence here that this requirement is more for record keeping purposes than anything else.

'Service Disconnect plug: The empty slot is protected against reinsertion by a lock.' Ok, no touchee this guy (!!) but we need to know if the BMS remains connected or not (who has the Shop Manual?). Ideally the BMS would also be disconnected by this switch ('plug') to avoid possible hv leak down over time.
VR
--

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
'12v battery yes' - Ample evidence here that this requirement is more for record keeping purposes than anything else.

'Service Disconnect plug: The empty slot is protected against reinsertion by a lock.' Ok, no touchee this guy (!!) but we need to know if the BMS remains connected or not (who has the Shop Manual?). Ideally the BMS would also be disconnected by this switch ('plug') to avoid possible hv leak down over time.
VR
--
This does not mean that it locks itself, it means that the service technician inserts a lock in the slot. This is a just the common procedure every electrician uses called "lockout/tagout."

But is this procedure also saying that some kind of software-based deenergization (via DAS) is necessary before pulling the service disconnect? The question remains; if the service disconnect is pulled, does it also trigger a software-disabling of the car which can only be reset at a dealer via DAS? Who want to be the guinea pig and try this out? I've reached the point that I would not be surprised to learn that if you pull that plug, the dealer will tell you the car can only be made operable again if they replace the $15,000 HV battery!

This is Kafka on steroids (You know who Kafka 🇨🇿 was of course)...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There used to be a site called "smarttekinfo" (https://www.smarttekinfo.com/) where, for a steep price, you could get limited-time access to service information, but it seems to have been taken down.

I have not been able to find any kind of comprehensive service manual for the ED electric drivetrain. Only this basic introductory primer manual that explains the general design (that MB DNA refers to above). Len Sokoloff posted a link to it in the sticky's above - but the link to it is now dead too - so I have attached it to this post.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts