Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have seen enough of the Wisconsin Dells over the past 2 Rallies.

It has been a fun spot and great memories from the Dells. So where do you all want to see next. Anyone have any ideas on where we can go?

The host town does not require someone living there, but someone needs to be able to scope out the areas for various events and especially where we all can park. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
936 Posts
how many participants have you had the past two years? how many cars?

knowing this would be helpful for someone to think of sites to host the event. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
BRANSON!!!! (MO)

(Mainly because I live here and I would love to participate!) October would be the best month (nice leaves and cooler temps).

or Springfield (MO) (home of Bass Pro!)

donsgal

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
BRANSON!!!! (MO)

(Mainly because I live here and I would love to participate!) October would be the best month (nice leaves and cooler temps).

or Springfield (MO) (home of Bass Pro!)

donsgal

How far is Branson Mo., from Eureka Springs?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Branson has some of the same attraction as the Dells.

Not to Large a metropolitan area, Major tourist attraction to keep all participants and significant other happy, and lots of hotels.

Remember, on of the things to think about is what can a group do at the new location as a group besides sit around a hotel parking lot. Can you get around the area as a group? (lots of right turns help keep the group together)

One of the things that helped the Dells gathering work was it was right on the edge of the tourist season. The weather was good for us, but not so good for all those wanting to go to the outdoor water parks.

donsgal,I think you should pull together a fall drive for this year in Branson. Just a day trip this time to test the waters for a larger gathering at another time with more warning

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Branson has some of the same attraction as the Dells.

Not to Large a metropolitan area, Major tourist attraction to keep all participants and significant other happy, and lots of hotels.

Remember, on of the things to think about is what can a group do at the new location as a group besides sit around a hotel parking lot. Can you get around the area as a group? (lots of right turns help keep the group together)

One of the things that helped the Dells gathering work was it was right on the edge of the tourist season. The weather was good for us, but not so good for all those wanting to go to the outdoor water parks.

donsgal,I think you should pull together a fall drive for this year in Branson. Just a day trip this time to test the waters for a larger gathering at another time with more warning
+ 1

·
Registered
208 Posts
Please don't be offended, but going to the C&W Performers Burial Ground would not be high on my list... YMMV. :)
Well, I tend to agree with you jwight. (Although there are many, very entertaining, shows that are not C&W), I was thinking more about the scenic value of the drive. The lake area is very beautiful, especially in October.

There is also Silver Dollar City, which is a pretty fun theme park. It's not just about the rides as they have some shows and other entertainment and some pretty nice and unique shopping opportunities (thinking Christmas).

As far as the shows are concerned, they usually have a couple of "Big Names" make limited appearances (this year is Michael Bolton, in years past Johnny Mathis and others). Local shows really aren't bad and they are trying to appeal more to the boomer generation with lots of shows featuring 50's and 60's music (Bill Medley, The Comets, Paul Revere). There is the Dixie Stampede, which is awesome, and some "middle of the road" shows like SIX (which is purportedly darn good).

Aside from the Baldknobbers and Presley shows, there isn't a whole lot of twang left in Branson.

Truly, there is a little bit of something for everybody.

donsgal

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not sure I'd know where to begin! :confused:

It would be great fun if the Landing would let us drive down the middle of the Landing tooting our horns as we go. LOL

Is there somebody here I can ask for little mentoring about how to do this? I'd be willing to give it a try.

donsgal

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Put a plan together in your head, Announce a date and a place to meet, and make sure you are not called out of town that weekend:eek:

Then start a thread announcing the event and make sure you also include it on the calender on Insider.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Please don't be offended, but going to the C&W Performers Burial Ground would not be high on my list... YMMV. :)
The Wisconsin Dells is the Water Park Capitol of the world. How many folks attending the Dells event actually got wet during those two weekends? Not many.

Draws like that and the music venues in Branson are what built the infrastructure that allow groups to come. You don;t have to partake, but they do provide the hotel space and most likely a place for a group to eat

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had heard through the grapevine that the KC group was planning a trip to Eureka Springs this fall. Is that not happening now?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
...get your cowboy hat...dust cover and your spurs we're going to Branson Y'all....I proposed that local while at the Dragon and it brought some attention....the music is great....the drive to the Springs and the White river damn are just like a mini dragon...
...Branson...home of Jackoff Smirnoff
...America...what-a-country...

jetfuel....where's my chewing 'backer at???

·
Registered
946 Posts
It may have changed in the last few years, but Branson was notorious for traffic tie-ups in the early 2000's. Missouri has built additional roads to service the area, but when we were there in about 2003 or so, the drive out to where the theaters are located was a hour-long traffic jam. I can almost smell the burning clutches from here...

I agree that the best time to visit the Ozarks is in the fall. Summer's too dusty and hot, and winter and spring can have some treacherous weather.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts