Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying this 453 prime. The price is $7k out the door. brand new tires all around, 42k miles on odometer, 2016... clean carfax, JBL speakers. All good so far right?

Well the bottom of the tritium safety cell is dented. Or maybe that is the cover of the safety cell? (Never owned a smart before)

I believe this part is the cover of the the tritium safety cell and wanted to know how bad is this in reality? Should I avoid the car entirely despite the great price?
Could also be said that the previous owner hit a curb and caused that & I wonder if there was any suspension damage? Although the dealership replied to my question saying the car drives great no wobble or shaking on the highway at 65mph so I have them on record stating as such. I am 300+ miles from the dealer thus I wanted to ask you guys before I go spend 5 hours to get there to test drive it.

Keep in mind I already have plans to paint the tritium safety cell black. But not sure if that's metal or plastic and if a dent in that area is fixable?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
It looks metal and of course it's fixable but some filler will be needed even after it's pulled out.

And tritium is a hydrogen isotope; tridion is the name that smart gave to the monocoque bodyshell.

If you want a black car, wait for a black one to come up for sale. Paint, done properly, is going to cost more than the entire cost of that car, unless you DIY.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks metal and of course it's fixable but some filler will be needed even after it's pulled out.

And tritium is a hydrogen isotope; tridion is the name that smart gave to the monocoque bodyshell.

If you want a black car, wait for a black one to come up for sale. Paint, done properly, is going to cost more than the entire cost of that car, unless you DIY.
O no. Just painting the tritium shell area the rest I want white :) And my best friend has a body shop so I get things at cost but he's never seen a smart before so we were wondering if this damage is to the actual safety cell or just a cosmetic damage that is easily fixable.
Cause if this is the actual safety cell than I would guess the car should be totaled?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
O no. Just painting the tritium shell area the rest I want white :) And my best friend has a body shop so I get things at cost but he's never seen a smart before so we were wondering if this damage is to the actual safety cell or just a cosmetic damage that is easily fixable.
Cause if this is the actual safety cell than I would guess the car should be totaled?

It's not possible to paint hydrogen, even an isotope with more atomic mass....:D

Yes it is part of the bodyshell. Ask your expert friend with the body shop. You would obviously not total a car for a minor dent like that. He'd strip the paint, weld some small rods to the dent and pull it out with a small slide hammer, then finish.

Painting the cell black without stripping all parts off first would result in a pretty shabby look.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not possible to paint hydrogen, even an isotope with more atomic mass....:D

Yes it is part of the bodyshell. Ask your expert friend with the body shop. You would obviously not total a car for a minor dent like that. He'd strip the paint, weld some small rods to the dent and pull it out with a small slide hammer, then finish.

Painting the cell black without stripping all parts off first would result in a pretty shabby look.
Ah I see. Thanks mate for the insight.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If the dent not that bad, a paint less body shop, can pull out any dent. If the paint not that scrape up. In Some cases can be polished out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have a 2016 453. That is metal and part of the tridion cell. Damage appears very minor but you do want to know what it looks like underneath that curve. If it’s only what is shown, repair is minor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After the body work is completed, it may be cheaper to have the tridion wrapped in black rather than paint it.
Body wraps can be pretty convincing and would cost much less. Heck, you could even change color if you got tired of the black. Of course, it depends how much door jam you want covered or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's definitely part of the Tridion Shell. It's such a minor dent, I doubt it would compromise any of its integrity.

If you are going to start manipulating the metal, keep in mind that the shell is a lot thicker than regular body panels. Don't think it would be easy to pull that dent out and I'm positive a dent guy couldn't do anything with it.

I'm not a body guy but I would guess that that repair is much better off with some filler and paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts