Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts and I am still not 100% of what to expect when using the departure time setting (A/C On) in terms of when the charging will start. I expected the charging system to project the time needed to charge and delay charging until the remaining time was just greater than needed to charge to 100%. This is not how my ED is working. Regardless of whether I choose immediate charging or a departure time, my ED starts charging as soon as I connect the plug from my Level 2 charging station. The A/C feature does start 30 minutes prior to the departure time. I am using an Eaton Level 2 charging station, and I don't know if that is a factor or not. I assumed that the ED would be in control of when charging starts, not the station itself. I have only had the car less than a week, so I can't recall whether or not the charging behaved differently with the supplied Level 1 charger. What I have noted, is the car A/C is much more effective in heating the vehicle on the Level 2 charger than on the Level 1 charger. Any insight as to how this should be working would be appreciated. I am also wondering if it is possibly an update that needs to be applied by the dealer. My car was an early production 2013, so anything is possible.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here's my 2 cents again:

The charge & depart feature has been inconsistent. This may have something to do with the car estimating charge time based on the previous charging time - this is supposed to be controlled by the car. If your charging station has it's owned delayed charging feature it will probably work a lot better. For me, I just plug it in when want it to start charging. To precondition, I use the vh.smart.com. It works consistently for me, just make sure you set your departure time at least 10 minutes in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My charger does not have a delay feature, so I guess it's just let the charging begin, upon inserting the plug into the car. So far BC has no implemented a two tier power price plan, so it's not an issue. If they do, some thought may be given to when to plug in.

I agree with the 10 minutes in advance for the departure time, as it gives time for the car to shutdown the preconditioning before you disconnect. The he hating makes the car nice and warn and the windows are clear and free of internal fog.

·
Registered
465 Posts
For us its not a probably either because out lower rate begins at 7pm. So it's easy to run out to the garage and plug it in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 on that problem mawebb. I'm not even convinced the preconditioning is coming on. I'm just using the 115V charger until I can install a level II. Even at 80% charge and 12 hours to departure time it wants to start charging as soon as the plug goes in. With the plug connected I've gone back into the car, turned it on but not started and it indicates that it is on timed charge.

The car must know a little bit about the charger either through signals or just monitoring voltage/current. It changes the estimate on how long it will take to charge based on whether the current is being limited by the charger. (Thanks Marc!)

But if the charge time estimate is reasonable, and the charge start time based on that estimate is still in the future, Then the thing should not go into instant charge when you plug it in. Something is screwy.

Is there a way of determining what firmware is onboard? Perhaps the newer cars have a different one? I'm thinking maybe they tried to fix the inconsistencies Marc experienced and actually broke it all together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swled, I got my Level 2 installed within 4 days of getting the car so I only used the Level 1 a few times. I did set A/C on and a departure time that was well after the charging would have been complete. The car was warmer than the outside temperature but I was wondering if it was simply the residual heat from the charging process. With the Level 2, the car is very warm at departure time. From what I understand the heating temperature is set to a fixed 18 c. In fact it's a bit too warm, but it does cool off soon enough. As noted by others, set your departure time 10 minutes in advance of when you actually want to leave as it gives time for the car to turn off the power from the charger before you disconnect.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What I think happens when you have charge and depart set, is that charging starts right away, and if the battery gets too warm as a result of the charging, it stops charging for a while "to save money" until the battery cools rather than turning on the A/C to cool the battery and continue charging which is what I think it does with charge now.

I find that when I use charge now, charging from 30% SOC completes 1-2 hours faster than when I use charge and depart with 120V EVSE.

What is supposed to happen when you set a departure time is that 35 minutes before departure time, the system checks the cabin temp and if it is less than 18C, it calculates the time it will take to heat the cabin to 18C and at that amount of time prior to departure, it turns on the fan at level 2 and sets the PTC heater high enough to get the temp in the cabin to 18C (64F).

Mine seems to follow that logic pretty consistently, if I assume that there's an uncalibrated cabin temp sensor that reports that the temp is about 10F warmer than actual to the BMS software.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is also start charging as soon as cable is plugged, regardless of settings.

E.g. I plug car at 21:00 and need to go from 60% to 100% till 7:30 am and car start charging and says 5 hours left. So it will charge till 2:00 am. And till from 02:00 till 7:30 am it do nothing.
But my electic company charge 150% till 11:59 pm and only 40% from 0:00 till 07:00 :(

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The delayed charging (or managed-charging rate?) part of charge and depart feature was not implemented on N. American Smarts (can Canadian owners confirm this?) I think that it was intended only for countries with electric load management requirements (and the more powerful chargers used in European Smart ED's) . Whoever wrote the US-English owners manual was not told this, apparently.

Instead, the the only part of the "charge and depart" settings that works is the ability to pre-heat or pre-cool (they call it "AC" either way) the car for the set departure time. This allows you to pre-heat or pre-cool the car on "shore power" to conserve pack energy for driving itself.

If you want to do delayed charging, you will need to have a charging station (EVSE) that has delayed charging capability.

Note that when using the pre-heat or cool setting, you can keep the blower and temperature setting in the fully-down position and only adjust the air-management knob. The programming itself uses a pre-set temperature that cannot be adjusted. It turns the heat or AC on about 10-20 minutes before departure (depending on outside temp) and keeps it on for about 5 min after departure time should you be running late.

By the way, when you see that "charge now" when you park and shut the car off, it is not a warning (there is a separate warning message for that, should you shut the car off with less than 10% SOC left). It is the highlighted default of two options you can select with the knob on the RH stalk - the other option is the "ac on (which means heat too) below it. If you select the "AC on" it will pre-heat or pre-cool for the next trip using the last time set - or you can change it. It will not pre-heat or cool if it is left on "charge now". The car may or may not need to be plugged in to an EVSE for the pre-heat or cool to work. I don't know becasue I've only tried it with the car plugged in.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
charging starts right away, and if the battery gets too warm as a result of the charging, it stops charging for a while "to save money" until the battery cools rather than turning on the A/C to cool the battery
I doubt that the 3.5 kw charging rate of the US smarts heats the batter pack more than a couple degrees. The battery pack is temperate manged, but cooling is needed only in some very hot temperatures - summers in Texas, Arizona or the like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts