Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which model – a coupe or cabrio – holds its original value best, assuming they are like-equipped cars? In other words, if you were to purchase either of these models new, which would depreciate least after three or four years?

Bonus question: which – a coupe or cabrio – would be easier (quicker, more desirable) to sell used? (Assume a private-party sale.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
You should buy the cabrio for the fun factor only and expect more depreciation because of the fact that not everone wants to deal with the convertible top. Cleaning the top, treating the top and the potential of replacing or repairing the top can give someone that doesn't value the open air enjoyment some cause for concern.
I say that owning two cabrios at the moment and wanting to sell one. Opening that top is so enjoyable to me that it is totally worth any potential depreciation. Most people are shocked that such a small economy car would have a convertible top...especially one that can be opened or closed while going 60 miles an hour.
So to answer your questions...I would expect the used cabrio will sell for more than a used coupe however the difference in price will be less that what the initial difference in price was at the time of new purchase. The coupe may be a little easier to sell.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
So many variables to your question to include geographic location and time of the year, season. Then too within the auto industry a convertible (cabrio) is yet another niche that is much smaller than even the smart niche.

cabrios (and convertibles too) which are fewer in number, will always sell better in the sun belt states and be a dog in the North when you have to brush snow and ice off the soft top.

Have heard many coupe owners wish they had gone topless but never the other way around? We are 6+ years into a cabrio (not our first convertible) with NO REGRETS.

If you throw ED into the mix, all bets are off as a cabrio makes a PERFECT low range city car but the initial cost differential will make most choose an ED coupe.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I would assume the cab will be worth more 20-30 years from now. Personal their are very cute. Not very safe to drive. They fold in half, in a low mph crash. Convertiables always hold their value better. Too bad smart didn't offer a power sunroof. Would have been a lot safer.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Not very safe to drive. They fold in half, in a low mph crash.
While we are all entitled to our opinions, the number of known "low mph crash(es)" in the U.S. wherein a cabrio "fold(ed) in half" (please don't post more random crash photos) can likely still be counted on one hand with a finger or two left over.

Or as a statistician might respond, your "not very safe to drive" comment is statistically flawed and such comments are without merit.

After 6 years of cabrio ownership in my opinion, the smart cabrio is likely more safe than any number of limited production convertibles currently being sold in the U.S. My disclaimer: this is just my silly opinion for which I have no credible facts or figures as proof.

It's sunny and warm outside, I do believe I will put the top back and enjoy More Smiles Per Mile . . .

·
17,350 Posts
My disclaimer: this is just my silly opinion for which I have no credible facts or figures as proof.
Quick, somebody find Bob Diaz!!!! :D

Typically speaking, convertible car are less safe than their hardtop counterparts. How that translates to a smart coupe vs. cabriolet? I'm not sure.

To me, the differences between the two are negligible. We really don't have a sample size large enough to come to a good conclusion.

And that's a good thing, because that means we aren't crashing our cars, and when we do crash, we usually come out just fine. :)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
While we are all entitled to our opinions, the number of known "low mph crash(es)" in the U.S. wherein a cabrio "fold(ed) in half" (please don't post more random crash photos) can likely still be counted on one hand with a finger or two left over.

Or as a statistician might respond, your "not very safe to drive" comment is statistically flawed and such comments are without merit.

After 6 years of cabrio ownership in my opinion, the smart cabrio is likely more safe than any number of limited production convertibles currently being sold in the U.S. My disclaimer: this is just my silly opinion for which I have no credible facts or figures as proof.

It's sunny and warm outside, I do believe I will put the top back and enjoy More Smiles Per Mile . . .
Sorry, as long as you think so. A simple photo can disclaim your disbelief. A month ago a smart cab folded in half, like a tin can. Poor sole didn't make it. Only 40 mph crash. I feel a lot safer in a smart coupe. Each to their own. I bet the driver of that smart felt the same way you do.

http://m.cecildaily.com/news/local_news/article_6057c8e8-da54-59cd-9fc0-f9d8b4334a9d.html?mode=jqm_gal#&ui-state=dialog

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Only 40 mph crash.
Again, PROOF?

Internet CSI babble and news reports would suggest a posted speed of 40 MPH? Means little especially when that same babble said the van driver who crossed the line may have suffered a health episode - was his foot on the gas or the brake?

What did the police investigation/report say, what truly are the facts?

Opinions are like . . . :wink:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe we could divert this back to the topic? (Please.)

i'm trying to decide whether to get a BoConcept coupe or cabrio, knowing that I'll sell it within a couple of years, and want to consider the comparative depreciation ding of coupe vs. cabrio.

If safety of each model relates to depreciation, please make that clearer. Otherwise, start a safety thread??

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
If safety of each model relates to depreciation, please make that clearer.
With the compliance testing and safety features on ALL modern automobiles it is unlikely that Pintos or Corvairs could even make it to the showroom today. Then again a more current example of the GM ignition-switch recalls could be impactful at a brand model specific level?

I must agree that while "safety" or lack of same could be a depreciation factor, that simply is not the case with smart.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic of smart DEPRECIATION coupe vs. cabrio . . .

·
Registered
11,472 Posts

i'm trying to decide whether to get a BoConcept coupe or cabrio, knowing that I'll sell it within a couple of years, and want to consider the comparative depreciation ding of coupe vs. cabrio.

If safety of each model relates to depreciation, please make that clearer. Otherwise, start a safety thread??

I'd get the cabrio. You won't regret it!!!! :D
Five years with a Ragtop Smartie, still smiling. :burnout: :woohoo:

Even though I own a coupe, I will agree.... you'd probably be better off with a cabrio for "resale" value :)

I'm on my 6th year with a coupe and IF I could do it again, I'd get a RAG TOP :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Seems as a rule, all drop-top cars command more $$$. At least that's what I tell my self.... 09 Brabus cabrio is top of the food chain for me!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Did you ever see so many answers that were not? Are you surprised? :D

2009 fortwo passion coupe with power steering and heated seats with 50,000 miles, average condition, private party value $6305. 2009 fortwo passion cabrio with the same equipment, miles and condition, private party value $7437. So, to know which held its value better one must know the original sale price.

Do the same for 2011 models with 30,000 miles and clean condition the coupe is $9813 and the cabrio is $11504.

Values per Edmunds.com. Values subject to a multitude of variables. Buy what you want and don't worry about residual value.

·
17,350 Posts
As a coupe owner I too even agree with the other chaps.

If I could do it all again, I'd go cabriolet in a heartbeat. And I live in a state where it's below freezing most of the year!!! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
knowing that I'll sell it within a couple of years
If you are going to sell in a couple of years is leasing an option for you? Of course if you lease there is the mileage to consider. Go over 30K in 3 years and it's $0.25 a mile.

Here's an idea, the estimated depreciation is built into the lease. Go to a dealership, tell them you are thinking of leasing a coupe or a cabrio. Ask them what the cost would be if you decided to buy either one at the end of the lease. Tell them you need more time to think about it. Take the purchase price and divide it by 3 and then multiply it by 2 and you'll have the estimated depreciation based on 2 years with 20K miles for each one.

I started leasing a coupe 3/9/2014 purchase price $12,850. Option to buy after 3 years and 30K or less miles as is $8,480 so there's the estimated depreciation for a coupe in good condition and with 30K miles on it. $4,370. Of course there are other variables to take into consideration and the dealer would be charging retail not wholesale but I think a ballpark figure on a coupe would be about $3,500 to $4,000+ depreciation on a pure coupe after about 2 years depending on the mileage you put on it. Keep it in good shape, do all the required maintenance and you could possibly lower the depreciation and get a better price doing a private sale.

I like leasing, $107 a month, $108 a month for insurance, 40+MPG and $135 for maintenance every 10K miles. Depending on how it goes, I'll probably lease again in another 3 years. Sure, after all is said and done they are getting about $6K and could sell it for $4k less than 2014 MSRP so they are making about $2K from me but show me a better deal on any car.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts

If a vehicle is unsafe to drive, then it will depreciate faster. The cabrio isn't as safe as the coupe. I never seen a coupe fold up like that cabrio, in a accident. Time owning a vehicle doesn't meant its safe to drive. I owned my car for 6 years.

Safety hurt the Pinto, and the Corvair sales numbers. Both out sold the smart car. It is what it is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts