Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I missed this, but has the destination charge been published or confirmed. I remember reading a post (which I can no longer find) which suggested it will be $500. This was part of a dealer ad where they showed the cabrio starting at $17,090 ($16,590 + $500). Any new information on this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't heard anything one way or the other, but I think some people/person have mentioned it might be ~$800 :eek:based on the shipping charges for Mercedes Benzes that have to travel a similar distance.

Here's hoping that it's $500 or less.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If everyone would quote his/her source for rumors maybe we could better evaluate how much drama is necessary. This has been such a long wait I know we are all desperate for just just one tidbit of real info. Hey, what happened to the Nov. Newsletter??

·
Registered
197 Posts
more on delivery charge

At the smart drive event in September in Portland OR, I asked the delivery question. The rep I spoke with seemed quite knowlegeble. She felt like the delivery would be no more than $600.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I saw the $600 in print back when I first started all my research but can't remember where and a search of this site turns up all sorts of guess but not what I remember seeing... Most of my cars cost $750 to central Texas...

I probably saw the $600 figure on Edmund's

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
For those who have spent so much $$$ on options I would have thought you already considered destination, tax and tags, eh? So what's the fuss, gus?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The fuss ...gus? :rolleyes:

I don't know about every body else but I have over thirty years of buying cars, motorcycles and trucks...

Most large item purchases in life have a fixed cost, perhaps and sales tax and then it is yours...

The automobile is a much more technical purchase...

Vehicle base price (invoice, MSRP +/- ??)
Cost of options
Cost of extended service plans
Tax
Other dealer fees (think $50 lot tax, $75 document fee, $275 Ad Volerum)
PITA to get removed dealer options (think fabric stain proofing, ZeeBart undercoating, Clear coat protecting)
Registration & License
Destination charge
Insurance premium

Most of us are now 10 months past deciding we want the Lil bugger

Many of us are thinking about how much he/she will cost...

Holidays coming up and we would like to know how much of the next 180 day budget we can devote to Christmas shopping... I bet more then one spouse is pestering his or her partner to know these things...

THAT is t h e fuss Gus ;)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Very good point, Fred!

The fuss ...gus? :rolleyes:

I don't know about every body else but I have over thirty years of buying cars, motorcycles and trucks...

Most large item purchases in life have a fixed cost, perhaps and sales tax and then it is yours...

The automobile is a much more technical purchase...

Vehicle base price (invoice, MSRP +/- ??)
Cost of options
Cost of extended service plans
Tax
Other dealer fees (think $50 lot tax, $75 document fee, $275 Ad Volerum)
PITA to get removed dealer options (think fabric stain proofing, ZeeBart undercoating, Clear coat protecting)
Registration & License
Destination charge
Insurance premium

Most of us are now 10 months past deciding we want the Lil bugger

Many of us are thinking about how much he/she will cost...

Holidays coming up and we would like to know how much of the next 180 day budget we can devote to Christmas shopping... I bet more then one spouse is pestering his or her partner to know these things...

THAT is t h e fuss Gus ;)
I for one, being high on the list at 1174, am hoping the destination charge is NOT going to be exorbitant. I also am hoping that the warranty extension for the existing one that is terrible is also NOT going to be exorbitant. We all have maintained a great deal of patience thru this whole waiting thing and as you have said, Fred, we do have other lives and expenses here to handle in our lives....especially at this time of year.

I have no doubt that as soon as the dealers become armed with info (they are being kept out of the loop, too, I believe--big secrets!) they will be calling their prospective buyers to *come on down* to discuss the bottom line and the all too anxiously awaited date of delivery.
I don't know about the rest of you, but this forum provides more information than even the dealers presently have and that's a fact.:p (as dear Lilly Tomlin used to put it! LOLOL)

We all will just have to play this waiting game out to its end, that's all.

I just wish that those two big variables....destination charge and warranty extension.....were KNOWN at this time like the rest of the configurator details that became fact once we filled out the form.

The *fuss, guss* could add as much as 10% more to the bottom line of the transaction and would then make the deal not so sweet anymore.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I would assume that the charge would vary depending on where it has to be shipped to as it relates to the dock the vehicles arrive at.

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
I believe destination charges are negotiated between the car manufacturers and the Teamsters, and they are fixed no matter what the actual delivery mileage is. Also a WAG, but I think most delivery charges in the USA are in the $500 -600 range. :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Destination Charge
Destination charge is the amount the automaker charges the dealer to deliver a new vehicle from the factory. This charge can vary among automakers as well as among different vehicles. In most cases the destination charge for a given vehicle is the same to any point in the United States, whether the car has to travel across town to a dealer in Detroit, or across the continent to a dealer in Los Angeles. Since it is a fixed, unavoidable cost to a dealer, destination charges seldom can be negotiated.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/glossary.aspx?area=New Cars

Q. Why do I have to pay a “destination charge” when I buy a car? I know that the car must be shipped to the dealership, but so what? When I buy any large appliance, they’re shipped as well but I don't see a special charge for that.
— Jim M., Morgantown, W.Va.

A. With most things we buy at the store, the cost of shipping the product to the retailer is included in the price. For motor vehicles, federal law requires the destination charge to be listed on the window sticker.

The Automobile Information Disclosure Act, commonly called the Monroney Act, requires manufacturers to put a retail price sticker on each new vehicle. That sticker must include all various information, including the make, model, serial number, final assembly point, MSRP, price suggested for optional equipment, and the transportation charge.

By the way, since the dealer really pays the manufacturer to have that vehicle delivered from the factory, the destination charge is rarely negotiable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18909941/page/2/

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
Have to revise my WAG upwards:

2008 Chevrolet Corvette, Destination Charge: $825.00

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, Destination Charge: $620.00

Seems to be based on the price of the car in this case. May be good news for smart car buyers. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Too many variables... twould be just nice for PAG to get off their butts and tell us ...They already know this info and I bet the destination charge will be the exact same for each of us

Research any car in Edmunds and you see trends like ALL Ford Superduty trucks... made at the Kentucky plant cost $950 but other cars/trucks built elswhere cost less, like the Ranger is $660

BTW it was Edmunds that had $600 as the guestimate destination charge for a Smart car to my Zipcode

1 - 20 of 36 Posts