Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) below photos from early oct management launch meeting in detroit, usa,

2) look at first photo below, at the smart parked in front of the black smart. may this be, a new unannounced usa gunmetal gray or taupe exterior color?

3) look out the bottom right corner of the windshield of the red interior photo below. another view of a new 'to be announced' gunmetal gray metallic, or taupe metallic exterior color, on a smart vehicle with silver tridion?

·
Registered
564 Posts
By golly Holmes, I think you're on to something!

I had originally looked at the photo showing the back of the black car and thought the color balance was really off on the silver car in front, but realistically it can't be silver. And in the red interior shot, the car in the background clearly shows a big difference between the body color and the tridion.

I feel a photoshop request coming on! :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
It's just the lighting giving it that effect. Like prisoners in solitary, we are all so deprived of reliable outside news we tend to let our imaginations wander in order to help pass the interminable waiting time away.
This adventure could be material for the next Oliver Stone movie. :D:D:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Look at the speedometer in the red interior. It's in Kilometers per hour. And there's no glove box door. A red interior Euro version. The car in the lower right corner of the windshield looks black to me. Reflections on the windshield give the impression of a slightly different color. The car that seems to be a metallic taupe is, perhaps, just silver, reflecting the brownish concrete and gray skies. It's probably only an interesting effect. I have a Mazda that does the same thing in different lighting - sometimes silver, sometimes a champagne color. There does seem to be some sort of emblem on the lower right hand corner of the tailgate, though. Future "Special Edition"? Pure speculation.
Tricky (bad) light for photography. I'm with Carnut. We see what we want to see. Something new here? Can't really tell for sure. Darn.
The black one in the first photo does have the North American 9 spoke wheels, though. And, yes, those are the Euro Pulse's 6 spoke wheels on the car in the windshield! Perhaps the 6 spokers will be a dealer option? Hmmm...

·
Registered
75 Posts
To be honest, I thought the same thing a couple of days ago when I first saw this pic. I thought I was seeing things.

If they offer this color and I miss the boat, I will be mildly PO'ed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah! A metallic taupe or champagne with black leather or beige cloth interior would look great! Not likely, though. It's not offered on the Euro smart website either. www.smart.com . I think it would most likely show up there first.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
This may be a bubble burster but I think the color everyone is getting excited about is the silver. Rainy, cloudy, reflection of the color on the road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think I may be able to help explain the 'mystery color'

The board will not let me post a link to the MB anouncement for this car because I don't have enough posts - BUT if you Google with this search text " smart fortwo limited edition" and select the MB WebLog you'll find information on this car.

The car in question (to quote the MB anouncement) is:

"smart fortwo "edition limited one", the special model features a 71 horsepower petrol engine, silver tridion safety cell and body panels in exclusive pyrite grey metallic, silver door mirror caps and radiator grill, panoramic roof with sun blind and 15" light alloy wheels with a six-spoke design. Inside, the seats, gear knob and three-spoke steering wheel all feature cognac-brown used nappa leather look, with other highlights including air conditioning with automatic temperature control, heated seats, a ****pit clock and rev counter. If you're interested, the smart fortwo edition limited one is available only in coupe form, with 1,500 specimens scheduled to be produced. "

Even though I've not been 'chattey' on this board, I've followed it since the beginning of the year along with the Canadian board - and live within 5 miles of smart USA headquarters.

I reserved before noon on the first day (3/19) and have already comfirmed my order for a blue/silver/beige cabrio / loaded.

I know for a fact that smart USA has two of these limited editions at headquarters, and I have driven one of them. Corporate personel tell me that this car will NOT be available in the US, although they would like it to be.

Buy the way, it is an awesome color inside and out - I'd go for it in a minute if it were available.

I'm sure once smart gets established in the US, many more models, engines, and options will be available. I am planning on upgrading once a more desireable model comes available - maybe a Penske Racing Edition.

It must be a huge task to set up an entire network for a totally new vehicle - and I think that so far PAG is doing a great job.

By the way Mr Cash, were you at the management launch meeting in Detroit? If so, we'd love to see more photos.

Best Regards

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
found the detroit photos in a link in this forum's thread 'best review!', in the first post by smartshanna.

was not at the detroit meeting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Response to MrCash

First, congratulations on your confirmation password.

on second view, i don't think this is the same color as in the first thread post
I can assure you that the car in your posted photo is indeed an "edition limited one". Both the photo and the web site colors are not totally accurate - the car is a very pretty medium gray metalic, and the tan leather is awesome.

is smart detroit open to the public?
smart center Bloomfield (the dealership) is not yet completed, and I doubt that smart USA headquarters is open to the public. I don't believe that a 7 hour round trip would be worthwhile. They are not 'stocking' cars there but rather smart USA officials are driving them. Most I have seen are the Europe spec cars like available at road show events, however I have seen 2 US spec cars there. On any given day there may be no cars or up to 8 -10. I drive past the facility nearly every day and when I see something in the parking lot of interest, I stop and take a look. One of the few advantages of living in Metro Detroit.

how would the white/silver with red interior look vs. silver/silver/red?
I think one of the best styling features of the smart is the two tone effect of the tridion being a seperate color. The silver/silver just isn't enough contrast in my opinion. I've seen a white/silver/red coupe and it was quite distinctive. I did see the white/silver/black coupe at the Detroit Auto show, but I'm not a fan of black interiors (or exteriors for that matter)

I've not seen a blue/silver/beige cabrio like I confirmed, but I have seen a blue/silver/black leather cab. I really like the blue color, very rich and highly metallic. I've seen the beige interior on several other cars and it brightens and opens up the inside of the car, and I like the two tone look of the red or beige interiors. I plan on having my seats recovered in beige leather to match the rest of the interior.

I would not presume to tell someone what color they should get, but I'll share my thoughts and the elimination process that I went through. You need to define your preferences and go from there.

I started, when I placed my $99 reservation with a red/silver/beige, then changed my mind to a yellow/silver/beige and finally confirmed a blue/silver/beige. So I too, had some uncertainty.

- I prefer light interiors
- I don't care for the black tridion and I think is should be contrasting
- I don't like black cars, and I think white is a little dull
- When I saw the red, it was too orange for my taste
- When I saw the yellow, it just did not move me
- That left blue, which I think is very pretty, or silver which does not contrast very much with the silver tridion.

Now my choice was easy - I like the blue, I like light interiors (beige was the only choice - I don't think the red looks good with the blue although smart shows one on their configurator) and the silver tridion was the best contrast with the blue.

One appealing aspect of the smart is the option to change body panels easily, which is an option I plan in the future. I want to get an extra set of panels and do a custom paint job. I think the silver tridion and beige interior will go with about anything I chose. Additionally, it would not surprise me to see dealers offering some type of panel exchange program for their customers.

Regarding a coupe or cabrio - it's purely what you want. At nearly 3 grand more money you have to want a convertible. Mine will only be a summer car as I plan on keeping my Grand Cherokee for winter use/trailer towing/and when I need more passenger room.

Whew -- this got long winded.

Good luck on your selections

·
Registered
671 Posts
I chose the beige interior because I felt if I decided to change my outside panels to any other color that the beige interior would match more than any other to about any other panel color.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a couple of pictures of the white/silver from Detroit. It was very clean looking, and although I have never owned or desired a white car - I like the looks of this one. Check the links, (I have uploaded above my limit I guess).

I also have some of the Dark Silver and Silver.

·
Registered
347 Posts
RLove, your dark silver/silver photos are of the older 450 model. That dark silver color is not currently available on the new 451 model that we will be receiving. Sorry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts