Smart Car of America Forum banner

DFW wants to do a Nationals

Tags
dfw nationals
23K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  rfernatt 
#1 ·
Hey, I need to speak with the, now tired, coordinators of this year's nationals. I got some people who think they want to give it a go for next year. I tred to talk them out of it, but they wont listen. I just need a nutshell of what they are in store for. Thanks.

#4 ·
so far there are 4 nice sized smart meets in 2011:
Anniversary- Orlando-Feb
Poconos- PA-June
Dells-WI-June
Dragon-NC-Sept

I'll be at 3 of the above.

We would be due for a Nationals event in 2012 and it takes quite a bit of time to put it together. The last I heard the consensus was a Nationals event every three years and regional events in the interim.

There is also a new event manager at smartUSA, Matt Price. I am confident after the Anniversary event in Orlando (if not before), there will be movement on organizing another Nationals event.

#10 ·
Start out with a one day event, meet someplace, drive to a resturant, aftewards (or before) make it a road trip. Start (or end) at the local smart dealer... Once you figure out what works , then move on to a multi-day event. Drives are tough if you are in a city as you can't predict stop lights and traffic patterns, Open roads are good You do have to consider faster and slower drivers. Make sure there are a few people that know the route spaced out in the group so if part of the pack gets delayed, they won't get lost. (Just a few tips I have learned.)

#12 ·
Get a weekender set up - plan a drive, a social activity (non-drive), a meal. Biggest problem with a larger event is making sure you get the attendance to warrant the vendors, etc. - it is a crapshoot at first (Nationals was hoped to be as large as 800, but was planned for smaller - and it was).
For 2012, you need to be already starting it - it takes a lot of time to round up everything and everybody, not counting the need to reserve a facility well in advance. Better to plan 2013 - start with a small group of organizers, begin figuring out the whats, hows and wheres, and by this summer, be ready to start setting firm dates and places.

#13 ·
Jedi and others,
I'll add my 2 cents worth as someone who has organized several successful events.

1. Nothing prevents you or anyone from organizing a major event whether you call it a Nat'l, Regional or Local event. The difference is simply does the event have enough going on to draw people from a wide area and do you have or can you get the resources, (financial and otherwise) to pull off an event exciting enough to draw a substantial crowd.

2. All of us that have organized the key events mentioned earlier would tell you that (a) The planning takes longer than you think, (b) the event will cost more than you think to pull off even if the events are free and don't include anything that requires an entrance fee and (c) getting the word out requires frequent and repeated announcements and messages and it helps a great deal if ways to access smart USA or smart dealerships customer lists for announcements rather than relying strictly on SCOA and Insider to promote the event.

3. The Dragon events success is largely do to the opportunity to drive the dragon and other nearby scenic Mtn roads and is unique in that respect.
The Dells Event is successful largely because there is a wide variety of entertainment in a small area that appeals to a range of people. The Florida events likewise were put together with multiple events and venues that appealed to a broad constituency as well as the fact that I had an owners e-mail list of over 400 Florida owners to whom I could market the events. The Nationals took over a year to plan and could not have taken place without the sponsorship and support of smartUSA and the local dealership.

4. The point of #3 is that it takes planning, it takes a location that offers something unique and that appeals to different ages and interests and it may require some sponsorship and as Gary said that is tough because the attendees want to know what vendors and activities will be involved before they commit and sponsors want to know how many attendees there will be before they commit.

5. Having said all of that I encourage people and groups to expand the number of key events. Just understand the realities and work to put together an event at a place and with activities that are unique, exciting and different.

Good Luck and Best wishes.

#14 ·
Jedi and others,
. . . an event at a place and with activities that are unique, exciting and different.
Good Luck and Best wishes.
Ken,

Spot-on! Without a great destination and some exciting support activities smart weekend events will cave under their own weight.

THE DRAGON is very remote, very unique and by itself is the draw. Respecting the fact that there is no shopping mall, movie theatre, very spotty cell/Wi-Fi service you go for THE DRAGON and the great folks who attend.

Yes, somewhere in town you can buy White Lightning in a mason jar and down the road a piece they are filming Deliverance II.

Once the sun goes down and the batteries die on the RC smarts - you have banjo pickin', smart wrapping and story telling followed by breakfast at Lynn's Place.

And that my friend is a GREAT WEEKEND!

Tom

#20 ·
Dallas would be a great place for a nationals event! You might get some grief about two national events somewhat in the same area of the country. I would run on the theory that if someone complains, they should step up and be involved with the next event's planning. Kind of a step up or shut up thing.

I was disappointed that the reigning beauty queen didn't stop in or some of the local dignitaries. That would have been fun!!

#24 · (Edited)
Smart let us know where the biggest concentration of smarts are.
California
South East (FL)
and Texas.

Prove to the rest of the country you got something to offer by getting together a Large regional event like the Dragon, Dells, FL, or the Dam.

Then the rest of us will want to come. The further North in TX you get the event, the more attendees from around the country you will get.

You may notice all the events I mentioned above are NOT held at a smart center. A smart centers direct involvement is not a requirement unless they offer a world class BBQ. Yummy

---- Edit

One thing I remember distinctly from some of the past planning was most people were only willing to travel about 500 miles for an event. The more people you get within a 500 mile radius the more people you will get to attend an event. If you put an event on a coast you only get a semicircle of attendees.

#29 ·
Just my .02 here but for a national event having not only an enthusiastic smart center on board but an active local owners group are "must haves." No way the KC event would have been as successful without the two local centers and the MO-KAN Smart Car Club doing the heavy lifting at the event. When people say east and west coast that doesn't have to be on the waterfront - Las Vegas would be a good western location, as would Atlanta for the east. Plenty of flexibility here if people "open their minds." :)

#31 ·
+1. Coastal events do not need to be "on the coast" unless it just happens to work better that way. However, somewhere mid-coast (north to south) would be preferable, I would think. So, a southern VA or northern NC type location for the East Coast (there is the triangle of smart centers in NC and VA Beach isn't too far off).

#30 ·
We also talk about someplace in Colorado, at the 2010 Nationals for the next National event. Lots of beautiful driving tours though the mountains. My wife and I went camping there after the Nationals event. There were smart cars everwhere, in Denver, Boulder and Estes Park. Lots of green folks.

I also agree, with jwight, after being a past promoter of the last Nationals. the dealerships, and smart usa really made the event happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.