Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about my car battery draining even after replacing it once.

Anyways upon further inspection I found my radiator fan wasn't coming on constantly when the AC was running, yet another problem.

So today I got under the driver seat and started looking at fuses, and to my surprise, none of my 28-31 fuses match the owners manual!!! :eek:

The owners manual I refer to is located here:

http://owners.smartusa.com/userfiles/file/451_AKB_MY2009, V2.pdf

It lists that fuse order is:

28 - Rear window defroster, radiator fan 40A Orange
29 - Soft top (cabriolet only) 30 A Green
30 - Transmission 40 A Orange
31 - Horn, doors, central locking 20 A Yellow

Here is a picture of my current fuse block (aka SAM) untouched, except for pulling the yellow fuse (number 28 in the photo) to check it, which it is blown!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpctxi6x9p5n1ub/Photo Jan 01, 4 20 11 PM.jpg

My photo lists the fuses as:

28 - 20A Yellow
29 - 40A Orange
30 - 30A Green
31 - 40A Orange

I'm no rocket scientist but those two sets of information don't match! :eek::(

I bought my car used from the Villa Ford in Orange, CA. I wonder if they might have put them in backwards during an inspection or something. :(

What are your thoughts?! I'm glad I found the blown 20A Yellow fuse because my car has been overheating in traffic!

Also, I wonder if this could cure my battery drain issue?

Thanks guys,

Kory / RCRsmart

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Just swap them back to the correct order. Don't see how they could cause a battery drain....:confused:

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have auto lights and wipers? if so, leaving the wipers in auto can drain the battery. Unless that is, you install a relay on the wipers to kill the auto wipers when the key is off:D
REALLY!? 4 Years of owning this car and I honestly did NOT know that! :eek::(

Why would anyone design a car that has auto detect features like lights and wipers and NOT put a relay in the electrical path?! :rolleyes:

I'll leave both OFF when I get out of the car instead of on Auto.

Thanks!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Those fuses looked like by someone working in smartville on an offday :) , or maybe they had a 'backwards day' at the plant :) :)

·
17,351 Posts
Perhaps they fixed the autolight/wiper battery drain issue in newer cars? Because I've yet to come across this issue, and I leave both in automatic very often!

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
2 out of 3 work well

Perhaps they fixed the autolight/wiper battery drain issue in newer cars? Because I've yet to come across this issue, and I leave both in automatic very often!
My 2008 and one of my 2009 do not have any problem leaving the auto wipers and auto lights on. But my second 2009 must have them off if you want the battery to start the car the next time you get in it. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 09 was recalled to install a jumper of some kind to eliminate the auto power drain. This was about a month from the sale date. Anyone else?

·
17,351 Posts
My 09 was recalled to install a jumper of some kind to eliminate the auto power drain. This was about a month from the sale date. Anyone else?
I've heard about that back in 2009. A few members on here were saying that their car wouldn't start and the dealer had that fix for it.

I don't understand your title. Nothing wrong with Ford products.
The reason for the title is because he bought it from a Ford dealer...and assumes they messed around with the fuses...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Do you have auto lights and wipers? if so, leaving the wipers in auto can drain the battery. Unless that is, you install a relay on the wipers to kill the auto wipers when the key is off:D
This should no longer be true. I have a 2008 Cabrio that had both features, and the crappy under-sized OEM battery. There was a software fix for this in the '08, and a software/hardware fix for it in the '09. They also replaced the batteries in all the '08s shipped with these features in the first several months because of this issue.

Depending on the age of your vehicle though, the OP may just have one that slipped through. If someone never took it back to the dealer for the upgrade for whatever reason. May be worth a try to test, and if it's that large of a bother, hit a dealership to see if they can correct it.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
My 09 did not do this until I had a software update.:confused: then I was like what is up with this dead battery in the am. I called Easton and was told the tech must not have put the jumper back in. :rolleyes: I went back to Columbus ( 140 mile round trip) and they put the jumper back in. the very next a.m. I had a dead battery.:eek: I installed the relay my self and no more dead battery since.:wink: issue solved. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 09 did not do this until I had a software update.:confused: then I was like what is up with this dead battery in the am. I called Easton and was told the tech must not have put the jumper back in. :rolleyes: I went back to Columbus ( 140 mile round trip) and they put the jumper back in. the very next a.m. I had a dead battery.:eek: I installed the relay my self and no more dead battery since.:wink: issue solved. :D
I'm having this issue in my 08, any instructions/guide for putting a relay in for the auto wipers?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
its been a long time but I hooked up a relay to the auto switch wire in the stick. So, the car thinks the switch is in the off position if the key is off. I cant remember what wire it was but I do remember testing the continuity with my tester to see what wire it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts