Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A smart to me at this age is like what a Volkswagen Beetle was to me as my first car at that age. This is one I was servicing for a 64 year old Earth Momma lady, ((Technically I do Mercedes Maiantenance for a private group of people) she came to me referred after an incident where she had exited her car on a small declining driveway in front of her security gate. Why she had no opener is beyond me. She put it in reverse instead of park. When she got in front of the car it somehow let go and coasted, pinning her lower leg against a lava rock wall. It gets better. The car somehow bounced back and still tried to reverse but let go again and hit her again. She could not move, got hit again until a neighbor saw she had almost had her foot amputated and called 911. I repa
ired the damaged fender and fiberglass reinforced her Brabus front spoiler that was cracked. I also did a full service on it. The airbag light was on and she brought it back to me to remove the bulb. Not fix the problem. I told her I don't do that and airbags were important. It was when the passenger side buckle didn't latch and she could not carry her grand son around is. When I got called again. I replaced the buckle, my Star told me the system was operable. I neglected to reset the light so when she called to tell me she wasn't paying for the seat belt buckle I told her to bring the car that Friday and assured her the air bag system worked. On Tuesday she was T-boned by a Tacoma. The frame in this car and the airbags saved her life. She had liability insurance but no comp or collision on this 2011 car. In lieu of the money she owned me she gladly signed over title and went and bought a Honda CR-V.
There was damage that can be pulled out on the passenger side door sill, she killed the shift console, the door was wasted, the strut cartridge bent, end link bent, and inner tie rod slightly bent but was able to straighten. I will have this Brabus-Smart-converted-to-an-AMG Black-Edition car rock and rolling aga:eek:n. And maybe with a turbo kit. Since insurance didn't total it there is still some value there.
This is my Smart story. I have already rebuilt and reinforced a shifter console, rebuilt the front suspension and soon will be re-assembling the front body panel pieces and putting a door on it. I had to adjust the clutch actuator and need a couple of air bags to make her complete. Pulling out the sill and making all of that line up I will leave to a shop.
My other cars are an E-430, a SLK320, Subaru WRX, Ford F-150 and an '86 Mondial Cabriolet I keep in California. I am a retired real estate broker and property manager. I work for a fortune 250 company in parts logistics and am ASE certified. I live in Hawaii with my high school sweetheart wh I was separated from for 26 years and reunited 6 years ago. Life ain't bad.

Mick Ferreira

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Mick. Welcome to the SCoA forum. Thats quite a story! It's a shame that the poor lady owner succumbed to the physical harm that she did but I'm glad she recovered. Your other cars are quite a line up. As luxurious as they are, you'll find the Smart (once you get it up and running) equally as much to drive. I know we do. Please keep us up to date with the repairs and maybe include some pics if you can.
I was in Hawaii back in january on the island of Oahu. Fabulous location, if not a little expensive. Loved it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove around in her car while she on a trip. I used to be intrigued by the cars and now I hooked. Most of my clients I get their cars while they are away so I can drive them real life and they don't have to pay to park at the airport. I service them and return them detailed and ready along with detailed maintenance ready. Much to the chagrin of the wife, I could be seen tooling around in the thing decked out in Mercedes Stars and AMG regalia leaving people scratching their heads. Pretty fast with the K&N intake and Lucas fuel additive. Low-pro tires and Brabus springs make it ride like a Radio Flyer wagon and with the potholes here I swear I've almost coughed up my spleen a couple times. My friend suggested we wrap it and make it look like a European police car. Japanese tourists flock to it. Here is a good "before" it got wrecked picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Brabus must be modeled after one of the early Swatch inpsired 450's that was marketed upside also. (Those panoramic roofs are slick and slide on inclines).

I swear on my browser it shows right side up. I should have it wrapped to look like a turtle perhaps. Or space capsule. My father did work as an engineer designing and building the first lunar module that went to the moon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Previous owner pics found!

I found posts from the original owner of this car in the Hawaii Chapter area circa 2011. It lists all of the adds and improvements done to this car before he sold it. I gotta make her right again. Well OK, maybe not covered in skulls. I AM in Hawaii. I don't know if the previous owner follows this forum any more.

Attachments

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
You still got a great little car even with the damage. You are more than qualified to put it back together. Can't wait to see pictures of the finished product. DCO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts