Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any place in the United States where I could purchase a smart diesel engine with a standard 5 or 6 speed transmission (with a real clutch) like they have in Europe? My smart gets VERY POOR gas mileage and I just HATE the transmission.

I have 40,000 miles on it and I am not very happy with the car.

thanks

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
OK Help me out here folks, Does smart offer a "real" clutch on any 451 in the world?

Or is it an automated manual on all models?

For the OP, What kind of milage do you get?

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I get - on average - about 37 mpg. It is mostly city type driving with some roads with 50 mph. I have not done much highway roads where the speed limit is above 50 mph. I can go about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks on a fillup of prem gas. My previous vehicle - a 1996 Nissan pickup - was filled every other week. I like the mpg of my little car. It might be as high as some think it should be but it works for me. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
NO MANUALS WITH CLUTCH ANYWHERE!..... sorry, just didn't seem to be getting through so I shouted. Very uncharacteristic of me, sorry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have a new UK 451 smart CDI (only 2 weeks old) and it does not have a clutch pedal and is a 5 speed box (triptronic or auto at the press of a button). I've never seen a fortwo with a clutch pedal or 6 speed box. Must look out for one now.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
What do you consider "VERY POOR" gas mileage? I drive in MA, my commute everyday is combined city/highway, and my average MPG is 42.2 MPG. Far from "VERY POOR". Are you putting premium gas in it as suggested? Are you driving conservatively? If not, then you will get poor mileage with the diesel as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i thought that but when someone mentioned it i was wondering if i'd missed something when i was at the smart dealers, hahaha.

i cant complain i'm getting around 80mpg with my little CDI, yes its not a speed machine but more than happy to sit at 70-75mph on the motorway when i go to work. so i'm more than happy with it

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
i thought that but when someone mentioned it i was wondering if i'd missed something when i was at the smart dealers, hahaha.

i cant complain i'm getting around 80mpg with my little CDI, yes its not a speed machine but more than happy to sit at 70-75mph on the motorway when i go to work. so i'm more than happy with it
When you are stating MPG, are you using Imperial Gallons? Very different than US MPG

This is why folks thought the smart would get 50+ MPG when it came to the US and were supprised and disapointed then it only got 40MPG over here

·
Registered
46 Posts
awh thanks forestacademy totally forgot you have a different gallon in the US to us in the UK. Not sure what that would be in US gallons then, soz

·
Registered
46 Posts
just been on a website and 1 uk gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons so if someone can work it out for me as i'm thick i'd be happy, thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I read in Smart Magazine that there is a program to shut the engine down in stop and go traffic. That would save up to 17% on MPG's?

I do not know if you can purchase it or not.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
OO OO I know this one

This was asked at the Midwest Rally,

NO

The EPA Rating would only gain like 1 MPG in City driving so it wasn't worth bringing in a new configuration for such a small gain.

It replaces the Alternator and Starter for a combined device.

Kind of like why GM Droped the Malibu Hybrid, where for an extra $5K+ you gain an extra 2mpg - Not worth it

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read in Smart Magazine that there is a program to shut the engine down in stop and go traffic. That would save up to 17% on MPG's?

I do not know if you can purchase it or not.

it's true you can get the smart petrol here in the UK with the start stop option, once you are below 5mph as long as your foot is on the brake pedel the engine stops (i had a test drive in one, it's a weird thing to get use to cause it just goes silent, lol) but as soon as you take your foot off the brake the engine restarts. there is an overinde switch so you can turn the stop start thing off if you dont like it. not avaiable on the CDI yet though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts