Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start a Diesel Smart Car after being stored for five years.
I have heard that the diesel motor can damaged piston rings when the motor is started after sitting for a long period.
Is there any truth to this?
What should be done before I try starting it?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pour a half of a quart of Dextron into the tank. This is an injector cleaner and will bring lubricity to a "dry" diesel. Man how I wish a former president here would have let a 50mpg vehicle into the US. Good luck and roll coal!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
We had pretty much a 50 mpg
well 49 mpg Vehicle.
1996 Geo Metro Hatchback/MPG
Up to 44 city / 49 highway.
When ever I could I would rent one with a manual transmission. Blasting through the gears going into 5th you would almost be to 60 mph. The ones that I rented were all smoother shifting than my Mitsubishi 3000 or Taurus SHO.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Pour a half of a quart of Dextron into the tank. This is an injector cleaner and will bring lubricity to a "dry" diesel. Man how I wish a former president here would have let a 50mpg vehicle into the US. Good luck and roll coal!
I had a near 50mpg vehicle, back in the mid 80’s. Honda CRX HF. Really fun car, rowing the gears, with a 5 speed stick. Used regular fuel.

Chevolet offed a Chevette scooter too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ah, just rotate the engine by hand. If it moves OK, pull the run wire wire off the shutdown solenoid and use the starter to spin it for 20 seconds or so. This will build oil pressure, lube the bearings and rings.

Hook it back up and see if it runs. If not, it probably isn't an internal problem, usually fuel delivery.

A bit of ATF in the fuel tank now and then is a good idea, too. Modern Diesel is just not as oily as it used to be, some injection pumps can wear faster than others.

S u b R o s a

1 - 6 of 6 Posts