Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a Smart ForTwo around the end of October. Thats when i turn 18 and i want to take out a loan for myself and i know i can pay it off. College is coming up and hopefully i'll be playing college football if i dont get hurt this season. ANYWAY... ive been looking at which ones sold in the USA are most fuel effecient and affordable for a part time, high school student to pay for.
I seen that the diesel smart fortwo's get about 75-85 mpg!! my first thought was perfect. $12000 diesel smart, 75-85 mpg, unique, i thought i could save for it. well i read a little and found out that the US doesnt sell them and are not planning to. SOO my question is:
If i buy a diesel smart from Canada (where most are ive found), can they be registered here? and also im not sure if they are in km/h or mph so can i buy new dash accesories to read mph also?

Thanks a lot,
UCBrave4

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :) The new generation smart (451) is not available as a diesel in the US or Canada at this time. The previous generation car (450) was sold only as a diesel in Canada. So, if you're looking for a diesel, it has to be the previous generation car which did not meet US safety/emissions specs (a few were converted for US sale by a California company and sold as gray market).

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but from what I've seen here on SCOA (and it depends on the state) it would be tough to near impossible to import the old diesel from Canada. If you could, it would likely require a few bucks in modifications. If the diesel does come here at some point, it will cost a chunk more than the gas model. If a smart pure starts at $12,500 stripped with no destination charges, the diesel would cost at least $1,500 more and probably more like $2K+. And, if smart acts like VW, the diesel would probably only be available as an option on the higher end models which start around $14K. Of course, smart has no public plans to ever bring the diesel 451 here.

My advice? Get a good deal on the current gas model and you can still get great mileage depending on your driving style and conditions. And, you can start having fun now:

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Also, the mpg you see quoted for the EU versions may be overstated significantly. It's only through this forum that I realized the "imperial gallon" isn't the same as a US gallon.

The google instant conversion feature reports that "1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons" which overestimates the mpg in EU cars by a good clip.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You're on the right track

Don't be discouraged. There are numerous Canadian diesel cars legally registered and driving in the U.S. You may need to be creative but you can follow your instincts and achieve your goal.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
... I seen that the diesel smart fortwo's get about 75-85 mpg!! ...

Reel yourself Pilgrim - when you see smart diesel MPG quoted it is in Imperial gallons, 20% more than U.S. gallons. Actually, the average Imp consumption is something like 71 I.MPG or 59 U.S. MPG.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Correct, JohnH. I found that out the hard way, dealing with my down-under friends and their claims on mpg.

Calculate using the coefficient for "imperial" gallons and you will see more commonality betwixt the two.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help so far. my car now gets about 20 mpg so any jump will make a significate change in my economic plans.
Is there any certain one that anyone thinks fits my needs? first loan, 18, soon college student, AFFORDABLE

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
From Spiritmonitor.de, the 450 cdi averages 57 US MPG, the 451 gasser averages 38 US MPG.

One of my best FE trips was on I-75 coming back from the Dragon, 375 miles on 5.5 US gallons of fuel, 3.5L/100km or 68 US MPG, driving 65 to 75 MPH.

One owner in Canada has achieved multiple trips of over 625 miles on 6.5 US gallons of fuel, 96+ US MPG.

Driven very hard the cdi will still achieve better mileage than the gasser.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
around the end of october, if anyone is selling a cdi smart email me, something and i'll take a look.. they sound nice but if alot of registration and metric changes have to be made that could be a problem. ive talked to dad and this is the plan. weekend i turn 18 after the football game that friday we'll go look at them that saturday and sunday and buy the best one and cheapest monthly payments possible. theres 1 in town here and i want to be #2. ironic that the owner of the one here now is also a BUS DRIVER!

·
Super Moderator
17,724 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. my car now gets about 20 mpg so any jump will make a significate change in my economic plans.
Is there any certain one that anyone thinks fits my needs? first loan, 18, soon college student, AFFORDABLE
After converting imperial to US, the CDi (diesel) smart should get around 60-70 mpg US.

I recall a Floridian that bought a CDi from Canada and drove it home...didn't sound very hard for him to do...

Really you have to inquire about it by your state codes, the EPA, and what that car already has on it.

P.S. I turn 18 this November...I hope to be a smart owner soon! :)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I am wanting to buy a Smart ForTwo around the end of October. Thats when i turn 18 and i want to take out a loan for myself and i know i can pay it off.
No car is worth going into debt for at age 18, period. Keep what you have, and save your money!

And not to burst your bubble, but chances are slim-to-none that a bank will provide a loan for a grey market (non-US spec) car.

·
Super Moderator
17,724 Posts
Oh don't listen to him...just make your payments (low) on time and you'll GAIN credit...

As far as credit though, you're on your own...or just use mommy and daddy's...

I'm with a 2004 Kia Spectra, it's not as bad on gas as yours but as soon as I see some green...I'll give it a salute and thank it before it's trade it for a smart...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mommy and daddy's credit is bad now or id have one already. thats y i have to wait because they can't get a loan even though i can pay it off no problem. older brother kinda ruined it all for me and my younger brother.
and i have a few college scouts looking at me right now for scholarships so that $32,000/year for 5 years will HOPEFULLY be reduced or fully paid. the car is just my gift to myself for being responsible for money, grades, football, and just not a bad kid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the money right now. All but about $3000 which wont take but maybe 5 months to get when summer comes. Im not a city boy by no means im just smarter than my friends that are going to college driving Cummins, Power Strokes, Duramax.. Farming country here, i like different and its not hard to make money here. (******** with ******* because of all the Tabacco fields and bean fields.)

·
Super Moderator
17,724 Posts
mommy and daddy's credit is bad now or id have one already. thats y i have to wait because they can't get a loan even though i can pay it off no problem. older brother kinda ruined it all for me and my younger brother.
and i have a few college scouts looking at me right now for scholarships so that $32,000/year for 5 years will HOPEFULLY be reduced or fully paid. the car is just my gift to myself for being responsible for money, grades, football, and just not a bad kid.
Sounds like my situation, parents screwed up their credit and the only way I'm getting a smart is if I pay for it 100% and I could get a down payment so large that it could offset the bad credit.

I expected to have a smart by May 2009...that didn't go well and neither what's happening right now...

I have the money right now. All but about $3000 which wont take but maybe 5 months to get when summer comes. Im not a city boy by no means im just smarter than my friends that are going to college driving Cummins, Power Strokes, Duramax.. Farming country here, i like different and its not hard to make money here. (infested with mexicans because of all the Tabacco fields and bean fields.)
Lucky you, it's near impossible for a teen to get a job over here...all the teens that got a job seem to have some sort of connection...

I'm at a standstill for money...
You're just making money...

P.S. You're not the only one that's tired of the truck crowd. The majority of teens at my school drive F-150s and Ram 1500s with gigantic lift kits on them. And I can tell you that only ONE of them has seen the off-road.

I want a car that I like, not one that just follows a fad like a lemming.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont have any interest in te trucks. my dad has a Dodge 1500 stock.. my brother had a Nissan Sentra (drifter for him) and wrecked it and now has a Mercury Cougar (new drift like).

i want one that i like, gets me where i need to be, and i can save on fuel. again hopefully the camp in June will help me. Highest rated college scout camp in the country. over 400 colleges there just waitin for me. FBU camp is gonna give me the reason to buy the smart car.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts