Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have continental tires in front (still good) and want to try Kumho on the rear (need replaced). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with 2 different brands of tires.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have many times on many different vehicles. I did how ever keep the same size on both front wheels and the same size tires on both rear wheels. Now as for my Smart 451 I have had different brands also with out negative effects. Continental front/ Sumac rear, and Yokohama front/Hankook rear. When money and timing are aligned I do get a matched set fitted up. Currently on 4 Kumho PS-31's.

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
I have continental tires in front (still good) and want to try Kumho on the rear (need replaced). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with 2 different brands of tires.
You never ever run two different brand tires-on any car! That un heard of. Not safe!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You're not serious, are you?
Jim
There is something to what he said. Each brand of tire will have slightly different handling characteristics so that is why the recommendation is not to do so. Folks have for eons and will probably continue to do so. Other than snow tires on the rear of my rear wheel drive cars decades ago I have never since mixed tire brands and will never do so. Even tires of the same brand but different models may have different handling characteristics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You never ever run two different brand tires-on any car! That un heard of. Not safe!
I second that! And I have first hand experience. Let me find the thread I posted on it...be right back

Here it is. I think the thread title says it all.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
301 Posts
I second that! And I have first hand experience. Let me find the thread I posted on it...be right back

Here it is. I think the thread title says it all.
I'm not arguing the point about mixed brands... but are you sure your TCS/ABS activation wasn't due to improper sizes?

I too, have a 2016 Passion and I regularly experience the sudden skidding your thread discusses... but I believe it is because the previous owner of my smart decided to put the same size tires (185/60 R15) on all four corners (they are the same brand).

My TCS kicks in most often on sweeping left handers, both coasting through and accelerating through, and you're right... it can scare the crap out of you. I've since learned I can anticipate it... but eventually a new set of properly staggered tire diameters will get the math equation back in line.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not arguing the point about mixed brands... but are you sure your TCS/ABS activation wasn't due to improper sizes?

I too, have a 2016 Passion and I regularly experience the sudden skidding your thread discusses... but I believe it is because the previous owner of my smart decided to put the same size tires (185/60 R15) on all four corners (they are the same brand).

My TCS kicks in most often on sweeping left handers, both coasting through and accelerating through, and you're right... it can scare the crap out of you. I've since learned I can anticipate it... but eventually a new set of properly staggered tire diameters will get the math equation back in line.
I'm positive they were the factory size. As soon as I went back the the Conti's, all scaryness disappeared.
Let's not forget, too, that I was doing a cheapest-tire experiment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sorry but I linked the wrong thread, although it was directly related.to the tire swap. Let me find the other one.

No, that was the correct thread, but I don't make the connection to the new mismatched tires until later in the discussion. Here

·
Registered
2010 smart Passion fortwo caballero
16 Posts
I have had 4 diff tires and I'm ok
My dad always had tires at lot for sale and I only heard best to have 2 and 2same if a must but I've had all 4 diff and didn't die but hell i had bricks as struts in my toyota

1 - 12 of 12 Posts