Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to my dealer today and he said that as far as he knew if a person gives up his reservation after the confirmation, the next person on the master rservation list that has ordered the came configuration will be offered the car. That could be somebody way down the list (example someone cancels a Pure). I questioned him on this and he was very sure it would be that way.

I'm not sure that I think he is right. If anyone has a chance to talk to their dealer maybe we could get a confirmation or other information to mull over

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'm sure the next person on the list who ordered a cabrio won't be interested in a pure. It make sense that cars would be offered to the next person in line who wants the car that comes available.

As to "Master Reservation List." I'm not sure if the car would be shipped from Miami to Los Angeles for the next in line, of if the dealer meant that the car would stay put and be sold to the next person in line who ordered a pure.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Never heard of a "Master Reservation List." My dealer intimated that they would go down THEIR list of reservers to offer the orphan. If no takers it then would be available to any local walk-in.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Never heard of a "Master Reservation List." My dealer intimated that they would go down THEIR list of reservers to offer the orphan. If no takers it then would be available to any local walk-in.

I'm sure the dealer meant the reservations they received from smart USAs master list. There should be no off-list lists.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ditto, that's what my dealer said too, except for the "same config" part. What's the likelihood of that? This is why I said I'd take a Passion if one came up even though I ordered a pure. Cripes, I may not even get the confirmation from on high until March or April.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We're talking roughly TWENTY THOUSAND vehicles - there will be thousands and thousands of duplicate vehicles coming off the boat. It won't be hard to drop down to the next guy in line. And remember, if the color is wrong they can just change the body panels. It will be easy for them to find a buyer who's next in line for that identical model with identical options either at that same dealer or within a reasonable shipping distance. This will be a simple issue to work out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
...the next person on the master rservation list that has ordered the came configuration will be offered the car...
My dealer told me "EXACT same configuration"...This will have to be done at the port of entry so as to determine delivery route.

No changes will be made at the dealer.

Only after a car arrives at the dealer and the confirmed customer decides not to buy, then the car will be allowed to be sold to walk-ins or possibly leased by the dealer.

:cool:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with all of you and I think my dealer is full of something. He was very specific and said they would go to the next reservation holder that had an identical car and offer it to them regardless of location.

Don't know why this outfit seems to never have info that agrees with everyone else

·
Registered
721 Posts
I just don't see it very likely that they'd ship a car cross-country just because that's where the next guy in line is...not very smart.
They'd sell it in California (to someone, anyone) before shipping it to Miami...Or in New York, before hauling it to Texas...

No, I'm very sure they'll be making confirmation calls to reservation holders at the port, or nearby, to determine WHERE these cars will be shipped...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Geeeee ........a car salesman misleading a buyer...no way! LMAO :D Their #1 job.....tell you anything to shut you up and keep you interested. Mind you, they're not all like that but I'd say 90%. It's only a few weeks now, people! We'll be hearing the truth right here come the end of Dec or Beginning of Jan. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
As I see it

Step #1 -- Reserve for $99 bucks

Step #2 -- Configure for free via e-mail invite from IB

Do we think/suspect this is the actual vehicle order that is made in OUR NAME? Or perhaps a good data source for PAG to pre order groups of similar cars?

Step #3 -- Go to dealer and complete vehicle order with some deposit

Do we think/suspect this is the actual vehicle order that is made in OUR NAME?

Step #4 -- Go to dealer pay and take delivery

Some assumptions

50 or 70 dealers? We think each will get 3 or 4 demo cars... 50X3 = 150 ~ 70X4 = 280 of the first boat load as "demo" cars

I think it safe to assume all the REAL insiders (PAG and IB employees and some of their friends and family) get cars out of the first boat load... So how many do we guess that would be? 50, 100, 200?

We have no idea how they are to be distributed ..... Everything is pure guess right now..

Please enlighten us if you have real info...

I expect that at least one car configured exactly like I paid a deposit for would be heading to my dealer with a VIN/Serial number designated for me.

I expect that my place in line for THAT car relates to my relatively early reservation date.

I think what makes sense is a PAG/IB location at the port that group ships via rail and truck. How they will sort and who gets cars first is unknown.

I highly doubt they just spit out the remainder of the first two thousand cars to each dealer and let the dealers sort who to call... that method don't make much sense

I am real curious how any dealer (in a pre ordered car world) can say they will get XX number of cars per month.... That allocation makes sense for the second and subsequent years as a distribution plan.

I find it hard to figure how they could ever predict that number....Especially if they intend internet sales to be main marketing focus

50~70 dealers... If 900 of the first several days of reservations are from Southern California then I EXPECT 900 cars to go to that regional dealer.

If only 1 car from March 19th reservation is from Arkansas I expect that regional dealer to get that car.... and no more

What would be the point of March 19th reservation and early Sept Confirmation IF you have to wait until June 08 for your regional dealer to get one in that configuration?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts