Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Black cab, 2013, on order for lease, with silver trim, Comfort Package, Tech Package, Cruise Control Package, Fog Lamps, and Central Console Storage. I await the arrival eagerly.

I've seen quite a bit of discussion on floor mats, but I've not seen a direct comparison of these two products, nor a general discussion of their quality.

First: If I understand correctly, no floor mats of any kind come with the vehicle. No need to reply to this first comment unless I am wrong.

I want to order floor mats, and two products catch my attention, available from, for instance, SmartMadness. I'll almost certainly order one of these two, both marked "genuine smart" on the SmartMadness website.

1. Smart Car Floor Mats - Ribbed.

2. Smart Car Floor Mats -Velour.

What are the relative strengths and weaknesses, in general, product quality, of these two products?

Which is best in your opinion, and why?

Finally, I assume these fit the 2013 ForTwo?

Last question: I can't find anywhere where I can find a list of current accessories available through the dealer, with prices. Are these products older products, or what the Smart Center will offer as well?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,636 Posts
My 2009 Brabus coupe came with the velour mats, but I have never used them. I prefer the smart all weather mats. To me nothing looks worse than worn carpet or velour mats. Make sure that whatever you buy, they cover the dead pedal area.

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
I believe the velour mats are history; the new version is more like a Berber carpet feel. The new rubber mats look great and are really handy in bad weather. :)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Get the OEM smart rubber all weather. OEM carpet ones, are junk. Sitting in my basement. Passenger one still looks new.

Do those mats REALLY fit nicely around the brake pedal ??

I'm looking to swap out my all weather 08 mats :D

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Fits edge to edge from sill to console tight wise. Fits close to the pedal too. Can't see any of the carpet. Heavy duty material. Cleans up with a vacuum, and a damp rag. Doesn't buckle up, like the cheap OEM carpet around the gas, and brake pedal. Velcro holds the passenger side down.

Daughter proof mats!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Fits edge to edge from sill to console tight wise. Fits close to the pedal too. Can't see any of the carpet. Heavy duty material. Cleans up with a vacuum, and a damp rag. Doesn't buckle up, like the cheap OEM carpet around the gas, and brake pedal. Velcro holds the passenger side down.

Daughter proof mats!!!!!!!!!!
:bigthumbup:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have both the carpet and rubber mats. I use the rubber during the winter in NH, carpet in the summer. As long as they are anchored they both work well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Smart Online Parts

Try the link above. $54.00 shipped to my door. Excellent product. Excellent fit. I am shocked every time it rains how much water comes off my shoes. I love these mats and the price I paid.:wink:?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all who have replied!

There's clearly a preference here for the rubber mats. Perhaps I'll buy these too, for winter. But I was hoping I could get feedback on which of the two precise choices I am considering, from the Smart Madness website, are better. The velour or the ribbed? Both are carpet, not rubber. Both about the same price.

Does one look better than the other? Higher quality? What's the difference, and why do some prefer one over the other? Are these thick, or too thin? (Sadly, the replies indicate neither wears well.)

From other pictures, I don't think this is the same velour mats that came with Brabus Smarts, although I am not certain.

Also, do these fit the newer models (in particular, the 451) well? I don't even know how much the floors have changed in recent years. Are these Smart Car floors identical to the original 451?

Thanks!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I just picked up a set of WeatherTech (WT) mats for my 2013 fortwo. I originally wanted the smart all-weather mats, but after seeing the WT mast in-person a few weeks ago I liked them better. Perceived quality of the WT mats seems to be a little better than the OE rubber mats.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Doesn't look like there are screw, hold downs on the Weather Tech mats, like the smart OEM's that I bought. They look like about the same thickness as my OEM's. Most likely the same quality too. Weather Tech make great stuff. How much were they, compared to the new model, OEM's plus shipping?

I don't think they make the OEM's, that smart online parts carries anymore. Must be left overs. Older model. Good price though.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The WT mats don't have clips to hold the driver's mat down, and they don't need them, either. Instead, they have little "cleats" on the entire backside of the mat that prevent it from moving. Mine haven't moved at all in the many miles I've put on the car since installing the mats. The other thing I liked more about the WT mats is that the rubber part that covers the dead pedal area is longer than the OE rubber mats. That's important to me since I rest my left foot on that area all the time.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Bought a set of WT "made for your car" mats for our 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Not even close. Got the grand run-around when trying to return them. Will never again buy their products and will activley discourage their purchase. They might work in your smart, but buyer beware in other applicaitons..

Regards,

Dan

Something works for you, ... tell your freinds. Get screwd, ... tell everyone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts