Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word on whether or not it is possible to disable the ESP on 451s? I had asked the the dealer about this, and they said no, but I imagine it is possible by removing a fuse (maybe ABS?), or otherwise tricking the car with the handbrake slightly on or something.

Does anyone have more info on doing this?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Dave, the US smart President was asked the same question by the first USA delivery guy. Dave had asked his engineers if that could happen. They said no, just too much of a safety concern to allow consumers to do that.

·
Registered
970 Posts
That is really too bad, I find there are definitely circumstances where disabling the ESP and the way it causes traction loss under some conditions is the safer thing to do. Every driver should have the option to turn it off as needed.

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Bad idea IMO

Lot of guys on Corvette forums thought the same thing until they put their car in the ditch. Have at it but I'm sure it would instantly void the warranty if someone disables ESP and the car is damaged because of it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
as much as I would love to do doghnuts in the snow a weelbase this short would get to be a handful real fast. My insurance is bad enough without a bunch of these getting totalled. Oh dear, really becoming an old wanker
karl

·
Registered
970 Posts
Lot of guys on Corvette forums thought the same thing until they put their car in the ditch. Have at it but I'm sure it would instantly void the warranty if someone disables ESP and the car is damaged because of it. Just my .02.
Welp, just because some people have no common sense or good judgment on how to use something doesn't make it a bad idea for everyone. Having had several cars with varying degrees of horsepower and ESP I know there are instances that the traction afforded by turning the ESP off is beneficial and safer then having the the power cut by the computer.

For example, there are many streets on inclines here with stop signs or lights and the ESP on many cars will cut the power as soon as you try to go no matter how gentle you are, especially if you are turning or the street is damp. It can make merging rather dangerous depending on how severe the ESP is, turning it off can be the only way to safely launch allowing the bit of wheel spin that will naturally happen without the ESP cutting power. Insofar I've only found Porsche ESP to be smart enough not to cut power and cause interference in these kind of circumstances (and their ESP has different settings).

So, bottom line, unless the Smart ESP is advanced enough and doesn't gut the power at the first loss of tire traction in every instance then the driver should be able to disable it as needed since there will be cases that the sudden loss of power could be dangerous. Just my .02 :)

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Are we discussing the ESP or traction control? Usually two separate things on most cars. Not sure if smart combines them (not smart!) but if so, you/we are stuck. This is another subject full of lots of opinions and not a lot of data, not to mention driver, car and circumstances all being variables. I'm outta here! :)

·
Banned
661 Posts
For example, there are many streets on inclines here with stop signs or lights and the ESP on many cars will cut the power as soon as you try to go no matter how gentle you are, especially if you are turning or the street is damp. It can make merging rather dangerous depending on how severe the ESP is, turning it off can be the only way to safely launch allowing the bit of wheel spin that will naturally happen without the ESP cutting power.
have to agree with this statement. i've had it in several cars and find it to be dangerous in certain situations such as those above.

also, no car that i have owned has both ESP and Traction Control separately. they are always combined. however, i don't buy American cars so maybe they are different in those.

exerpt from definition of ESP:

ESC may also incorporate traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels and/or reduces excess engine power until control is regained.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Are we discussing the ESP or traction control? Usually two separate things on most cars. Not sure if smart combines them (not smart!) but if so, you/we are stuck. This is another subject full of lots of opinions and not a lot of data, not to mention driver, car and circumstances all being variables. I'm outta here! :)
Good point, I think of them together since the button for disabling it is usually referred to as the ESP or DSC or whatever the the manufacturer calls it.

I know, it is one of 'those':rolleyes::) topics on car forums, but I can only rely on my own personal experience. I'm not flat out against it like some who hate any 'electronic nannies' and I drive mostly with it on, but I do encounter circumstances that this technology (or certain versions of it and how it works in that specific vehicle) is not designed to handle well and I should have the option to control that for my own safety.

Hmmm, this really makes me want to know how the Smart handles the type of merges and steep streets we have here...

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
have to agree with this statement. i've had it in several cars and find it to be dangerous in certain situations such as those above.

also, no car that i have owned has both ESP and Traction Control separately. they are always combined. however, i don't buy American cars so maybe they are different in those.

exerpt from definition of ESP:

ESC may also incorporate traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels and/or reduces excess engine power until control is regained.
Well, there you go. A properly designed (IMO) system gives you the option to control them both. Such a system is available on the Chevrolet Corvette, America's Sportscar, where you can have both on, traction control off but active handling on, or both off. You cannot have traction control on by itself. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it doesn't look like the short wheelbase is too much of a problem, frankly. Just the traction control/ESP :)

The cars have been out in Europe for a year, so if there is a way, it must have been discovered...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it doesn't look like the short wheelbase is too much of a problem, frankly. Just the traction control/ESP :)

The cars have been out in Europe for a year, so if there is a way, it must have been discovered...
just posting until I get to 3...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
nick2ny SmartAzz

Coulda predicted the safety nannies and warranty police are gonna react badly

We will soon figure out how to disable the ESP just like was done with the 450s

When the system is defaulted to "off line", you will get a warning light that ABS is non op....

More to come once real motor heads get their hands on one....

"Will void warranty if you prang it in a ditch"... WELL - DUH!

MY car... there are times when I want the system active...

There are times when I want the system disabled...

Hell an autocross weekend comes to mind...

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
I'm happy with all of that as long as it's your insurance paying for the hospital bills, anyone injured in other cars, and to keep the ventilator running. But it will probably be the rest of us tax payers. :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm outta here! :)

What was that you said? :p :D

Annnnnyway, I think the danger is overstated when you compare the real hazards on the road of all the people with traction control not paying attention and multitasking when driving vs the likes of us wanting the option to turn off ESP to merge on inclines in our Smarts ;)

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Outta here???

I know, I just couldn't resist. If I had a nickel for every one of these "discussions" in the Corvette world I'd be rich enough to pay the dealer fees in Florida. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
As a Corvette owner and the previous owner of two Cadillacs with "Active Handling" and "Traction Control", I am compelled to add my 2 cents. In my experience, only a fool would disable the "Active Handling" feature in any sort of normal driving, as it will definitely save your butt many times during your ownership, and always allows better handling than with it turned off (with the possible exception of on a track with an expert driver - and I know we all think we are experts!). Traction Control, however, can be a real pain and even unsafe in certain situations, and the manufacturer should provide some simple "at hand" way to turn it off when necessary. All the GM cars I have had were/are equipped with a "Traction Control Off" switch. The Corvette has a "Competition" setting which disables the Traction Control and softens up the Active Handling allowing some sliding around while still being there to prevent the "big one". As others have pointed out, go the the Corvette Forum and read about all the sad guys that turned everything off. The moral of my 2 cents is: Leave both on unless someone can figure out a way to disable JUST the Traction Control on the smarties.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
"But it will probably be the rest of us tax payers."

John... I actively fight against helmet laws and the general myth you expounded above...

20,000~24,000 Smarts... max this year.... how many motor heads like me might disable the ESP?... how many hours would the few of us drive in public traffic with it disabled?

Of those. what number will have an accident injuring or killing some one?

I would propose that all of you out there that drive with your knee, have a cell phone to your face, put on lipstick, shave, read a book/newspaper yada yada yada...or even simply fail to properly maintain your tire pressure are a much greater danger.............. numerically speaking...

1 - 20 of 153 Posts