Smart Car of America Forum banner

Disconnected battery - won't start!

112K views 75 replies 43 participants last post by  carlmenard27 
#1 ·
I disconnected my battery, and upon re-connection, the car will not start!!! HELP!?!?!??

#37 ·
I follow this procedure all the time after unhooking my 2014 Smart from towing behind MH. I place the car in neutral, turn off and wait for the dash lights to go out, then disconnect battery for towing. I then follow the restart procedures. Has not failed me in 3 years.

MLogan
2014 Smart
Smyrna, TN

#45 ·
German cars soo fun 😑.. it didn't work with me, after I put the new battery i turned on the key & got those 3 dashes error I knew I had to reprogram the gears/clutch actuator since I had to replace it a year ago & went with the same process, so I turned the car off again, pushed & hold the brake, turn on the key & I heard the actuator clicking & the 3 dashes disappeared after 10sec, moved it around the gears, turn on the car .... Nothing the car won't start... Did follow the procedure in this thread .. nothing.. disconnected the battery & re did the procedure again.. still won't start.

Any idea? Any other way to do some kind a major reset or something?

#46 ·
If you get three bars on your instrument cluster, try this:

• Step on the brake
  • Turn the key to the “on” position, but don’t start the car.
  • Slowly cycle through the gears, pausing at each position. You should hear the shift motor and clutch actuator moving.
  • Slowly cycle back through the gears to Park.
  • Take your foot off the brake
  • Turn the key off
  • I’ve heard that locking and unlocking the doors at this step is necessary , but I’m not convinced. You can try it anyway.
  • Wait a few moments.
  • Restart the car. The clutch should function again. Some have reported disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes helps.

#47 ·
If you get three bars on your instrument cluster, try this:

• Step on the brake
  • Turn the key to the “on” position, but don’t start the car.
  • Slowly cycle through the gears, pausing at each position. You should hear the shift motor and clutch actuator moving.
  • Slowly cycle back through the gears to Park.
  • Take your foot off the brake
  • Turn the key off
  • I’ve heard that locking and unlocking the doors at this step is necessary , but I’m not convinced. You can try it anyway.
  • Wait a few moments.
  • Restart the car. The clutch should function again. Some have reported disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes helps.
Yah did all that unfortunately nothing . As I mentioned the 3 dashes fixed & no longer the issue as I heard the actuator recalibrateed. Now not sure what's the issue is. I'll try to disconnect both battery terminals overnight, & connect them tomorrow & re do these steps before I try to turn the engine on.
Saw few videos of replacing smrat batteries seems like any other car, not sure why German cars sometimes have it's own brain & decided to act differently whenever the car want 😩

#54 · (Edited)
Any suggestions anyone?
I inspected the clutch actuator since like I mentioned earlier when I first connected the battery I got the 3 dashes on the dash, but it went away by itself after few seconds. Gonna lubricate it for smother shifting as I remember seeing few videos talking about it since I already there.. but still not sure why still not firing up.
It was rainy few days before I replaced the battery, the car was parked & not used for almost 2 weeks( not that it matters but just wanted to put everything i remember here in case help figuring this issue out).
I also notice when I removing the floor mat & whatnot to reach to the battery a little bit of damp there. No water tho & it was just closer to the door passenger side. No damp or water around the battery or wires there.

#58 ·
Yes i mentioned in one of my replies, it was there for 10 sec while the actuator recalibrateing when I first connected my new battery & it gone away. I have a year old new clutch actuator & inspected it it looks fine so I don't think it's the actuator because those 3 dashes would be back by now.

#60 ·
No, everything works fine, lights, radio but it's seem like when you leave the gear on D or N & try to crank it & nothing happens. I did also tried to put it on N and move the car a little then put it back on P as i read somewhere in case the car was stuck on a gear besides P. Nothing won't crank or make any cranking sounds at all.

#70 ·
Yes, new battery, checked the fuses all good. Trying to check the starter if it gets juice or not, I'd appreciate a suggestion how, I'm not so familiar with these kinda of electric testing. I know if the starter broken it would made any sound at least once, but mine seems like electricity isn't reaching. All the fuses under the driver seat fuse box are good... Unless i skipped some kind a heading one? ... I mean except those on the rear, i assume I'll have to remove the box to check them? But I kinda remember from the diagram nothing important there to check. .. man I'm frustrated 😞

#64 · (Edited)
Mkb818, you are correct. The car will not start in gears other than Park or Neutral.

If there are no fault codes, have a look at the starter and cable. They have been known to corrode to the point when they pass insufficient current to crank the starter.

A failed brake switch or malfunctioning starter switch will also prevent the car from starting.

Evilution has a procedure for pop-starting the car, but I have not tried it. Has anyone tried it in a North American Smart?

Edit: Found this thread. Use caution…

#69 ·
Mkb818, you are correct. The car will not start in gears other than Park or Neutral.

If there are no fault codes, have a look at the starter and cable. They have been known to corrode to the point when they pass insufficient current to crank the starter.

A failed brake switch or malfunctioning starter switch will also prevent the car from starting.

Evilution has a procedure for pop-starting the car, but I have not tried it. Has anyone tried it in a North American Smart?

Edit: Found this thread. Use caution…

Not sure how I check failed brake switch or the starter, besides the fuses. How I can make sure & certain an electricity is reaching the starter. I doubt it's the starter itself otherwise I would have heard it made any sound at least once but it never did. Like I said it's like the car is on Neutral or a gear & when you crank nothing happens. Clutch actuator works fine btw. Faulty coils will also crank the vehicle so I doubt that unless someone has similar experience & replacing coils helped. Spark plugs were installed 2 years ago roughly 20K miles on them.

#71 ·