Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wanted to disconnect the speaker( that warns pedestrians) in the front of the electric smart car, how would you do it.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
If you wanted to disconnect the speaker( that warns pedestrians) in the front of the electric smart car, how would you do it.
:2cents: As others have said, I wouldn't! And now that you have posted to the WWW, your "intentions" will follow Rick Roberts forever . . .

But, after you disconnect the speaker, make sure to call your insurance company and alert them to the need for higher coverage.

Wouldn't want to be party to a lawsuit if and when a pedestrian is harmed by your having disabled an EV safety feature.

·
Registered
462 Posts
:2cents: As others have said, I wouldn't! And now that you have posted to the WWW, your "intentions" will follow Rick Roberts forever . . .

But, after you disconnect the speaker, make sure to call your insurance company and alert them to the need for higher coverage.

Wouldn't want to be party to a lawsuit if and when a pedestrian is harmed by your having disabled an EV safety feature.
There are cars much less noisy than smart EDs out there sans noise maker, are those cars eligible to be sued for a lack of noise as well?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
There are cars much less noisy than smart EDs out there sans noise maker, are those cars eligible to be sued for a lack of noise as well?
No.

Said (pending) NHTSA rules will require both electric and hybrid vehicles ONLY to be equiped with the new warning noise devices.

My comments were only to SUGGEST that disabling such safety equipment that came as standard equipment on a new vehicle may put both the owner and pedestrians at risk?

·
Registered
832 Posts
No, but if you intentionally disable the noisemaker before some kid walks into the street right in front of you, you'll have a much harder time explaining to the judge that it wasn't your fault the kid didn't hear you coming...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As noted above, it's simple to disconnect. Personally I've not disconnected mine, but there are plenty of valid reasons to do so. One of the biggest being that AM radio interference that it puts out is pretty nasty (across the full 970 to 1310 range).

While models prior to 2014 are not required to have them, I'm not sure of the law when it comes to cars that came with it as standard equipment.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
When I went through ED training, I saw a noise unit that had been removed from a car.

If I recall correctly, there was a slot that looked like an SD card slot?
Anybody that's disconnected theirs notice anything like that?

I would guess that you can change the sound that the ED makes?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Most AM radio is petty nasty IMHO....:laugh:
Well, While I mainly agree... There's also some reasonable talk radio out there as well. Listening to that over *whoob* *whooob* *whooob* *whooob* kind of sucks. Happily thanks to 4G I can stream through my cell for the most part these days. But I'd much prefer to be able to use the public airwaves for it, where it not for the electronically non-compliant broadcaster under my hood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
whats up with this forum and lack of modding? any other car forum is all over modding....like every little thing you ask about it is like....nope wouldn't do that the manufacturer is the best wouldn't mess with that....when it is obvious that there are problems and we should be working together to make things better. This statement is not directed to anyone just vibe in general, lets try to add some value and not post just to agree with the other 14 people that posted.

·
Registered
436 Posts
whats up with this forum and lack of modding? any other car forum is all over modding....like every little thing you ask about it is like....nope wouldn't do that the manufacturer is the best wouldn't mess with that....when it is obvious that there are problems and we should be working together to make things better. This statement is not directed to anyone just vibe in general, lets try to add some value and not post just to agree with the other 14 people that posted.
Will you accept a post that respectfully disagrees with someone?

There is a lot of truth in the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." My little Munchkin ain't broke, it is a marvelous design and faithfully works as designed.

I may have just been sucked in by a Troll, but I must say I do get somewhat aggravated when I read sad tales of "improving" the smart.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to this board, but have been on the diesel pickup boards for a looooooong time.

Disconnecting a safety device that is purposely installed to protect pedestrians is a foolish endeavor.

My first encounter with an ED was only a short time ago (Days) and I was walking across the parking lot at my fav choke and puke and did not realize the little Smart ED was right behind me.

The good thing is that it was a client of mine and he was following me deliberately to play a little fun.
The encounter prompted my interest in the little Smart ED, and likely will result in us getting one.

Bottom line, some ignorant fool that is off in the ozones / texting or ?????? and does not hear you (A given) walks in front of you, Blam you kill him, your noise maker was unhooked by you, your insurance co is gonna bail, leaving you to deal with the mess.

I don't agree with all safety devices, anti lock brakes being one of them, but thats another story.
Cars make noise, at least they used to, so now we have these quiet little critters that can sneak up on anything without a sound.

Leave the noise maker running, as it is not gonna feel good after you run over some kid and have to face his folks and try and explain.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 160 Posts