Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder when the smart dealers are going to start to discount the 2016 fortwo's. Our dealership, had the same 3 sitting on there lot for months. Fiat discounted the 500 to move them. There was close to over 800 new smarts counting 2016-17s. Across the country. $21k seems extremely expensive for a smart car, coupe. That price seem ok for a Cab. There getting up to $24k. What will the Brabus models go for?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
With all due respect, the new ones have been discounted for a while now. Retail cash of $1,000, Loyalty cash of $500, APR up to 72 months at 0% combinable. Fleet incentives beyond that.

This, for an obvious niche vehicle that is a specialty car. It isn't built the typical way the competitors build their 4 door econoboxes. Our steel is much stronger. The Tridion cage in the new smart is substantially stronger than the previous Tridion cage, and this car uses materials the strength of high-end expensive luxury vehicles. I know. I took at hit by a vehicle 3 x's my size traveling nearly twice my speed at speeds > 100 mph and I walked away from it.

I'm really not all that interested in hearing about why we aren't doing what generic econobox over there does, especially from their nearly 6 year old car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wonder when the smart dealers are going to start to discount the 2016 fortwo's. Our dealership, had the same 3 sitting on there lot for months. Fiat discounted the 500 to move them. There was close to over 800 new smarts counting 2016-17s. Across the country. $21k seems extremely expensive for a smart car, coupe. That price seem ok for a Cab. There getting up to $24k. What will the Brabus models go for?

discounts are easy to get, just gotta talk to the right motivated dealer.. for me there were 5 smart dealers closer but sealed the deal at one 5 hours away (and only paid 300 to ship each car)

retails were 19.8----22.7 and paid 13.5-----15.5 each.

if you want a white/orange "edition 1" 2016 with 2600 miles on it.. i will gladly sell you it for 13.5k right now (paid 15.5 for that exact vehicle+around 950 in taxes and fee's) retail was 20.8k on it.

that being said... if you have time (took me 3 months of emails, calls, etc) to get my deal and i bought a total of 5 cars at the same time to get said deal.. the 13.5k car was used, 3500 miles and eventually had to give it back to the dealer because check engine light and other problems.. so honestly the cheapest one was 15k

[email protected] if u wanna own a sexy "edition one"...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I will say that Im a bit confused as to why the prices on dealer sites are quite a bit more than when you build them online (US site).. BUT having spent upwards of $43,000 on previous cars (Germans of course) Im more than happy to spend upwards of $21k for a Smart. Its a well built, safe and small car that is perfect for my needs. I cant wait to order mine, the only thing Im waiting on now is the 0% for the 2017 coupe. :D

As for the mention of the Fiats; Ive driven a Fiat, even thought about getting one at one point (until I drove it), but the quality of the car is nothing compared to the Smart. Even as the "inexpensive" german option, much like the VWs, they are still well made. The Fiat felt cheap in quality. I know Im a stickler for quality, but I just cant see complaining about spending a few more k on a car that is much better built. Guess thats what makes me one of those German car fans. :nerd:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went in this weekend to try and order a cabrio, dealer said the 0% offer was for '16 MY only, 2.9% for any '17.

That being said it is a very niche vehicle, moves 500 units a month in the US. It only exists to prop up MBUSA's cafe number. As long as they have one or two available most dealers don't care about trying ot move them.

This is a car you buy to keep. It's only 'overpriced' if you're trying to compare to a honda fit or something.

The smart is a german & french engineered, french built niche vehicle. Even Renault/Nissan & PSA Peugeot Citroen don't sell cars here bc they don't think they can be profitable. (Though it amuses me that Nissan doesn't try to sell the Twingo here as a Renault in it's dealers since the drivetrain is already federalized)

You should ask yourself if it's a car you're willing to keep until paid off. If the answer isn't yes then i would probably avoid getting one. You'll lose out financially otherwise.

Like me, Most people are going to order the car custom, I expect pretty close to MSRP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts