Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (FCAU) has said time and again that its Fiat brand can be turned around in the United States. It has introduced new models to do so. The plan has not worked. Fiat's sales continued to free fall in February.

Fiat sales shrank by 19% to 2,145 last month. That means it sold only 77 cars a day nationwide. For the first two months of the year, sales dropped 14% to 4,309.
:shrug:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiat-continues-disappearing-act-sales-111528822.html

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
No real surprise the base 500 is now $4-5k more expensive ($19k starting price) then the out going model.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Actually in the states the base price on the 2017 model 500 is $14,995. Fiat lowered the MSRP on all models this year. While the 500 is indeed long on tooth it's still a great car for the $$. In NA it's the same old story, we don't generally like small cars with small engines. Add in the factor that Fiat's last time in NA was less than stellar.... well the writing may be on the wall. I'm currently on my second 500, the 1st a 500 pop C and now a 15 Abarth C. Both cars are a step up from my 08 smart. But I wouldn't part with either one. They're both tons of fun to drive and I truly feel sorry for the American public who don't get it.

BTW, if you follow Douglas A. McIntyre writing in the past you know he literally hates Fiat as a brand and writes as such. So I would take his writings as something to put on the bird cage floor.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Marchionne Mishandled Fiat in NA from the beginning. He had a nationwide dealer network that needed a small inexpensive car. Instead of giving the Fiat 500 to any Chrysler dealer who wanted it at a base price of around $13K, he insisted on the separate million dollar "studios" and priced the car about $2K too high to start. Now, it's too late. For someone who is supposed to be so astute, it was a stupid blunder. FCA had to put $4K+ on the hood just to move the cars. If they had been priced right from the beginning, that might not have happened. As to the dealer fiasco, it's well documented how many 'studios' closed.
I liked my 2013 500 sport. I took a huge haircut on it when i sold it after 3 years, they depreciate as bad or worse than our smarts. Great deal used though, some great deals out there.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Looked at a well equipped 500 last year. Was quoted $21K as a price. I laughed. Salesman asked why. "Well, I just priced a similarly equipped Hyundai Elantra for $3K less". And it has a 100K warranty. They simply aren't competitive, and the Fix It Again Tony mentality is still out there. The one I test drove was ponderous on takeoff. And felt tinny.

·
17,353 Posts
I'd love to have an Abarth 500 as a third car and a ND MX-5 as a fourth.

Oh who am I kidding, my third car is probably going to be a 450, and my fourth a roadster. The roady will probably be 25 years old by that time.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
My Abarth was the most fun car I've ever owned, and never gave me any problems. A really great car.

I actually prefer the more minimalistic 500, however.
I'm like that too. My first car back in 65 was a Fiat 500 I purchased used, of course, for $50. Drove that for 4 years and enjoyed each minute. So when Fiat brought the 500 back in 12 I purchased a pop 500C. It was just like going back in time. However, the sound of the Abarth was too strong to resist and in 16 I jumped ship to a 15 Abarth C.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
It goes back to demographics. City cars just don't sell here. 2016 in Europe. The little 500, sold over 184,000 units. Fiat offers a 2 cylinder 500, and Diesel engines, there. Fuel is cheap here in NA. The consumer, is buying small crossovers. Not city cars. My little 500 going on 6 years old. Loaded, love driving it. Very few issues. It was a early 2011 model. Resale sucks, on both the 500, and smart. The 500X was suppose to save Fiat here. Instead, its sister the Jeep Renegade out sales it. The 500L is a pile of junk. The 124/Fiats is a beautiful car. Not much of a call, for 2 seat roadsters out. Fiat like smart don't understand the NA market place.

FCA money maker, is the Jeep, Ram brands.

·
17,353 Posts
2 seat roadsters are always hot in America, just usually nobody does cheap ones as well as Mazda. Thankfully the 124 is basically a MX-5 that went to college in Italy.

FCA's issue is that they have no idea how to grow some of their brands. Instead of updating brand portfolios, Sergio thinks he can just buy everyone out.

·
Super Moderator
28,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We all know where smart is at - it is just taking Fiat longer to get there. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts