Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that the 453 Distance Warning Function only works when the road conditions are perfect or almost perfect? The moment there is a bit of rain or there is a bit of mist, the function sends a warning that it's inoperable. Is this just my overly sensitive Distance Warning Function or are they all the same out there? I keep my car very clean and the logo on the front grill, where the signal emits from, is kept as clean as possible.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the 453 Distance Warning Function only works when the road conditions are perfect or almost perfect? The moment there is a bit of rain or there is a bit of mist, the function sends a warning that it's inoperable. Is this just my overly sensitive Distance Warning Function or are they all the same out there? I keep my car very clean and the logo on the front grill, where the signal emits from, is kept as clean as possible.
Hi MarcLad, I would recommend seeing your preferred smart center. Here is the owner's manual excerpt of system parameters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Yes, it has lots of issues in wet conditions. It's mostly ok and not a terribly useful gadget.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I haven't noticed any rain/moisture issue, so far.

I like its warning function, and it has actually helped me on a couple of occasions, both on the freeway and city streets, when I was briefly distracted. I would definitely order it again.

On rare occasions, an overhead traffic light will cause a false alert, but that's no biggie.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's physics. Distronic Plus and Collision Prevention Assist do not work in those conditions. Anyway, using cruise control in the rain is stupid.

If snow is on your bumper, Parktronic and/or Blind Spot Assist will not operate so it doesn't take much to throw it off.

Mercedes will always err on the side of caution.

I would too. Wonder if the distance warning function on the big Mercedes has the same limitation? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts