Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have bought the smart car extended warranty via my MB dealer, however, that doesn't cover the 40,000 maintenance and they want to charge me $450 for the following

smart Owners Manuals: 40,000 Miles/Four Year. smart Owners

40,000 Reset maintenance counter in cluster
Grease hinges and locks of doors and hatch

REPLACE:
activated charcoal filter for A/C
air cleaner element
brake fluid
car key battery
engine coolant
engine oil and filter

CHECK:
battery fluid level and condition
body, underside of vehicle and paint for damage
brake system/brake hoses for tightness
central locking system for proper operation
condition of front axle ball joints and boots
condition of steering mechanical components and rubber boots
disk brake pads for lining thickness
engine coolant level and strength
engine, gearbox, tubes and hoses for tightness
exhaust system for tightness and correct fixation
flat belt for condition and wear
headlamp setting, correct if necessary
horn, interior and exterior lights, warning lights, A/C system, seat heating for proper operation
parking brake function
seat belts for damage and proper function
tires and wheels for damage, condition and single-sided wear
tire pressure, correct if necessary;
LF____ RF____ LR____ RR____
tire tread depth, enter in mm;
LF____ RF____ LR____ RR____
windshield washer system fluid level, correct if necessary
windshield wiper blade condition and wiper/washer system function

How much would it be to do the 'REPLACE' parts on my own? where should I get the parts?

Thanks a lot in advance, but $450 sounds like a bit of a rip off.

·
Super Moderator
28,459 Posts
Just my .02 but there's a biggee in there - replace engine coolant. That's not a DIY and the smart coolant system needs to be done correctly to avoid air pockets in the coolant - possibly causing overheated engine. Same with brake fluid change - needs to be done by the pros IMHO.

You can DIY everything else, including the oil change, or have a local garage do it. Parts from Amazon, Rock Auto, local parts store, etc. :)

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Hi all,

I have bought the smart car extended warranty via my MB dealer, however, that doesn't cover the 40,000 maintenance and they want to charge me $450 for the following . . .

How much would it be to do the 'REPLACE' parts on my own? where should I get the parts?

. . . but $450 sounds like a bit of a rip off.
You didn't mention year of your smart but don't opt for the 40K $ervice Package!

REPLACE:
activated charcoal filter for A/C - DIY
air cleaner element - DIY
brake fluid - M-B recommended, but your choice as they are better equipped.
car key battery - DIY
engine coolant - BEST LEFT TO DEALER unless you are VERY careful
engine oil and filter - let them change it and they should reset the PIA maintenance counter or DIY

CHECK: Battery and such, DIY

Now here is the problem, unless you provide them with A VERY SPECIFIC LIST, the dealer doesn't want your $250 business as they make ridiculous margins doing the Full Monty at $450.

NOTE: You may want to request that they hook it up to the M-B Star Diagnostic System to check for software updates - most likely chargeable.

Most of the parts are readily available at auto parts stores.

As with all things smart - YMMV!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
M-B pricing from Canada, in Canadian dollars.

Model 451 (MY08 & up):
  • Service 1 and 2 schedule every 15,000 km or 1 year - $139.00 and $189.00 respectively
  • Air Filter Replacement every 45,000 km or as required - $47.00
  • Brake Fluid Replacement every 40,000 km or 2 years - $120.00
  • Spark Plug Replacement every 45,000 km - $130.00
  • Engine Antifreeze Replacement every 60,000 km or 4 years - $215.00
  • Replace Engine Drive Belts every 90,000 km - $139.00
  • Check Engine Valve Clearance every 90,000 km - $189.00
  • Adjust and Set Engine Valve Clearance if necessary after check - $195.00 plus shims required for adjustment
  • Key Battery Replacement every 2 years - $11.00 (no labour charge
  • 4-Wheel Alignment Check every 55,000 km- $44.95
  • Perform 4-Wheel Alignment every 55,000 km- $99.95
Prices are subject to change without notice

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The valve check at 60k is the MB biggie. All the rest can be done by your local auto shop. Start them out on an oil change and bring your own filters. A2Jack

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just my .02 but there's a biggee in there - replace engine coolant. That's not a DIY and the smart coolant system needs to be done correctly to avoid air pockets in the coolant - possibly causing overheated engine.
Not meaning to hijack the thread but has anyone used a vacuum coolant kit to replace the antifreeze? I used one on one of my other vehicles and it worked quite well. Would the smart have specific needs that are not met by a vacuum filling system?

Just curious

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
...this is SCoA...hijack away.........I'm going to...
...which kit did you use?

Jetfuel...hijacker extraordinaire ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
...this is SCoA...hijack away.........I'm going to...
...which kit did you use?

Jetfuel...hijacker extraordinaire ...
I used this kit which I found at Amazon - UVIEW 550500 AirLift II Economy Cooling System Refiller. Fill only of course. Draining was via shuttlecock.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The valve check at 60k is the MB biggie. A2Jack
So they say. 150K on my smart, and I've never had mine checked. Not that I would tell anybody don't do it, but you have to do what you are comfortable with.

I've yet to see anything smart recommends that a typical DIY'er couldn't handle with a few appropriate tools. I know some folks don't want to touch it, and that's fine, but if a person is so inclined to get their hands dirty, go for it. It a car like any other. No majic voodoo required to service it.:D

·
17,380 Posts
I was supposed to change my brake fluid at 20k, didn't...I'm now at 39,700 miles. Still stops on a dime and the fluid is clean. :)

After getting a quote that my 20k service would've left my wallet $450 lighter, I vowed to never return to the smart centre ever again for maintenance.

·
17,380 Posts
Trail's gone cold, entirely. Haven't had contact from Eric on Insider or my MB USA rep in two weeks. :bangwall:

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
:frustration: And I would send the LONG version of your saga :mad: to the IL State Attorney General :read: with a copy to not-so-smartUSA . . . :cussing:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so my local shop told me that I don't have to change the brake fluid and engine coolant but just have to maintain the level, is that true? and there any specific brake fluid/engine coolant I should bought to the local shop so they can change it for my smart or you guys reckon leave it alone?

·
Super Moderator
28,459 Posts
Your call really. Euro companies seem to like the frequent fluid changes while the US companies don't. My local shop checks the brake fluid and coolant at each service - so far, so good. YMMV, of course. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts