Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"What Is A Desiccant Cartridge?

Electric doesn't like water but high power batteries and water can cause serious issues.
A desiccant cartridge pulls all of the water out of the air inside the battery.
This reduction in humidity stops the formation of condensation inside the battery.

When you buy electrical items, you always find a silica gel packet with "do not eat" all over it.
The desiccant cartridge is just a massive version of that.

It's worth noting that silica gel in these packets are not gel, nor is it poisonous so munch away ya weirdo.

Changing The Cartridge

Every 2 years, this cartridge should be changed, according to smart.
I'll show you how to change it and then explain how to save money, a lot of money."

DIY options outlined by Evilution include FREE, $11 or $65ish . . .

Kane is the Godfather of all things smart - suggest that you give his Annual Subscription a try, very well done complete WITH pictures!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wonder why Teslas and Chevy Volts don't require such cartridges? In fact I've never heard of such a thing for any EV other than the Smart and Mercedes B-Class Electric. Kind of a Mercedes-Benz thing perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder why Teslas and Chevy Volts don't require such cartridges? In fact I've never heard of such a thing for any EV other than the Smart and Mercedes B-Class Electric. Kind of a Mercedes-Benz thing perhaps?
Think that the desiccant cartridge is unique to the 451 ED as nothing shows up for the 453?

If you are having trouble sleeping tonight, here's a White Paper that touches on your question. SWAG is that this was an early HV battery design and Daimler chose to go overkill with the moisture control? Oddly enough, page 11 shows a picture of the 451 smart ED cartridge?

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
I'm likely going with the cheap way with my future desiccant cartridge services, i.e. replacement beads. As an aside, it is such an easy job that you don't even have to be a DIY'er to service it. If you can change a light bulb, you can change the desiccant cartridge. You don't even have to jack up the car and a 14 mm hex works perfectly. No need for the special torx.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,000 miles

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it is Mercedes way to deny service if it was not changed, a better way to deal with moisture is to seal battery case and pressurize with nitrogen like utilities do with phone and electrical cables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can confirm that the 453 did not do away with the in-battery desiccant cartridge - it's just moved, and under the driver's seat (Left Hand Drive) It's also the exact same part number as the 451: A 789 340 33 00
Being that I have to replace it as part of my lease and don't want to get dinged for $100 for them to change it, I have to purchase a new one - and it looks like they are going for $37 here, but dang - $12 shipping!

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I should think a few days atop a woodstove would dry out the cartridge without even having to open it up. So now I can postpone this chore for 6 months. 8^)
VR
--

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
From the seller of the replacements beads I and a few others here bought. I used the new beads for the first time a few eeks ago. I then used Saran wrap to cover the opening before I screwed the cap back on and then I put it in the freezer. Any reason freezing the beads is not a good idea?

"For extra protection, you can wrap the opening of the jug with plastic wrap and then close the cap for extra protection.
You can store in a dry cool place. You don't need to store in the refrigerator or freezer.
The good thing about silica gel beads is that they are rechargeable. If for some reason they become saturated, you can reactivate them in the oven or microwave."

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts