Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Did anyone come up with an answer for Quagmire's question: how do we remove the one-piece shifter? :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For what it's worth, when I look at my shifter it appears to be the one-piece style, without a separate collar. And yet, I can turn it that 1/8th turn CCW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quagmire
I'm not sure your shifter is any different than the rest, if it is on a 451. I own a
Cabrio off the first boat 01/08 and the collar and curved collar base are all one piece as in the photos. The first time I tried to use pliers as shown in the photos it did not work, but turning it counter-clockwise with a clean, bare hand while lightly pulling up on the shifter knob it worked like a charm.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used a strap wrench to get the knob off easily without marring or any damage. You can pick these up just about anywhere for very cheap.
Hey guys I thought you forgot about me... I used one of these straps and it worked like a charm. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with my shifter, but after spraying it with silicone spray it is much smoother. I think it is a wise move for everyone to do this process for piece of mind and so that hopefully you won't get stranded. ;)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i liked the idea posted earler of tidying up the plastic piece with an emery board to remove any roughness from the molding process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Passion convertible w/4K miles is from the first boatload also. I checked with my service technician at Herb Chambers in Somerville, MA. He knew all about the problem. He uses spray lube.
I sprayed a shot of white lithium grease (which I usually use on door and trunk hinges and latches) up into the knob and rubbed a little on the nylon "T". Now my shifter works fine again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
spray lube

My Passion convertible w/4K miles is from the first boatload also. I checked with my service technician at Herb Chambers in Somerville, MA. He knew all about the problem. He uses spray lube.
I sprayed a shot of white lithium grease (which I usually use on door and trunk hinges and latches) up into the knob and rubbed a little on the nylon "T". Now my shifter works fine again.
I wonder how often you should lube the shifter, once a year, once a month?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just install a zirk fitting on top of the shifter so you can lube it regularly.

:D

Seriously, this is great information. As soon as I get my smart, it's going to get a mod session based on suggestions such as these...

·
Registered
590 Posts
this happened to me today (june 18, 2008)...stuck in park with the "button-don't-work" malfunction.

mine went away on the flatbed :( only 900 mile so far.

we'll see how this all turns out.

i wonder, how long does the "lube-it-up" repair solve the issue? has anyone had to re-lube?

inquiring minds would like to know :)

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
yes they did mine once lasted a week and it got stuck again then they did it a second time we will see how it holds up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was my turn today

Got in this morning and found shifter stuck in park. Cannot express my appreciation enough to the OP (Dave777) for his photo tutorial. As easy as stated - had it done in just a few minutes.

Someone had mentioned doing this as a preventative measure - I did not listen and got lucky that it happened to me in my garage. It could have happened in a lot worse places.

Thanks again Dave777

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Did anyone come up with an answer for Quagmire's question: how do we remove the one-piece shifter? :)
The shifter isn't truly one-piece; it's the shaft collar and ball cover that is one piece, and the shifter handle is separate from that collar-ball unit. The collar-ball unit (even though it is a single unit) will rotate 1/8 turn, independent of the leather shifter handle, using any one of the methods described by others in this thread.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You're welcome. Glad it worked. Now tell your dealer. This needs to be addressed some day with a more permanent fix.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts