Smart Car of America Forum banner

DIY mechanics in East Iowa.

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Iowadieseldude 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2005 405 CDI.
I have no owners manual or repair manual.
I changed oil/ filter
1. AC not working. Red dash AC lights "on" put some 134 in port and it seems to hold pressure at port. No cold, How do i diagnose?
2. I fumble with sequence to start the car. I expect there is a problem. What is normal?
3. Headlights motor noise and level control switch mystify me! I have no idea how to diagnose motor control. Passenger side stuck down. Driver side tracks switch setting but motor runs constantly. I need a manual. And wiring diagram
4. Intercooler fan was growling, followed by sacrificing itself with a cloud of smoke. Bearings felt smooth but DC windings were all but gone making a growling noise.
Denso DER16002 replacement fan was $30.
4. Speedo was km only, so I mounted a Scan Gauge II in speedo housing.
5. What is the goofy tubed three pin connector mounted on a flat plate flopping around in the front left bumper. It has a wiring loom looping down towards center of car.
6. Headlight housings have modified abandoned light fixtures with cut and terminated wires? Socket is odd offset pins as to confuse me as what style of bulb will fit? Not 180 degree two pin like 1156
7. This car came with blizzard snow tires on the rims. I would like to know what the original size should be and if anybody has any tires available?
Any help getting me on the right path is welcome.
I have been repairing my own cars for 35 years and expect Smart Cars are best for a DIY, as repair centers are distant.
Jack

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome to the ORPHANED of Orphaned cars!... I know as I have a 05 Gasser..
you realize that the diesel wasnt really brought in but snuck in under the wire, only a few made it ...Most were Cannucks that immigrated , or brought in to the northern US (CO, WA and OR were popular states)
the lights were modified from the EURO to Canadian/US spec. and i suspect maybe someone else probably got into it and modded it further. They were
the OEM lites were made to "dip" as you may notiice the switch on the steering colum left side (mine is there, but does not function) i think they were motorized . and projector lights.

the fan probably stuck once and smoked itself, they do that.. and in my opinion were poorly built.
Back to the AC, you may have either a bad relay in the SAM unit, OR a blown fuze.. stupid question now, is the belt on? you may not know some AC units will not cycle on until the rpms are above idle.... dont expect a lot of AC either..its a power robber too.. make sure you have a battery with voltage grater then 12.5-12.8 volts. the higher the CCA the better ...
Now for tires.. look on the inside of the door frame, the tire size and pressure will (or should be there) Stock wheels range from 175 55 15 to 185 50 15..
Back to the Speedo.. converting from Km to miles is cake. you gotta THINK a bit more LOL.... I would leave it be, unless it really bothers you..

Sequence to start, with the gasser like mine, push key fob unlock, key in hole, turn on position one, foot on brake, turnkey to start, Sam unit will turn car over until it starts. Now for the Diesel, unlock, key to on--wait till lite goes out (glowplugs) then foot on brake and start.

Club Smartcar UK can give you better details. and other tid bits...
Again WELCOME!

steveg 450 cabrio S. Mann

#4 ·
your SAM unit could be located in a couple of places... directly behind the drivers seat under the carpet , under the seat, or like mine behind the rear plastic panel drivers side just rear of the drivers seat...

Club Smart car UK can give you details. BTW the SAM unit is known for bad connections, usually at the slide on connectors to the relays, if and when you find it, check it carefully for brown or burnt tabs, or connectors. disconnect the battery before attempting any resoder . its a good fix when done right..and 99% of the time fixes many issues electrical inside the car. outside another story.. a good new battery , clean terminals POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE, and a new ground cable at the rear between transmission and rear frame will do it ..

happy hunting..

steveg. 450 S. Mann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.