Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Fortwo Passion
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a Smart Fortwo Passion 2013 (I bought it at a little over 39k miles and just recently hit 40k) . I just noticed the other day two wrenches were flashing and it said -131 miles but only when I first start my car. There aren't any other lights that are popping up.
Since i'm new to this car I wasn't sure if I need to immediately go into a shop or not. The closest certified shop is over three hours away. My neighbor who is a mechanic said he's worked on them before. So I was just curious if I could go into a regular shop for the yearly check and what not. I just am very ahhh since I am new to this car and I would be heartbroken if anything were to happen.

·
Registered
882 Posts
So I recently bought a Smart Fortwo Passion 2013 (I bought it at a little over 39k miles and just recently hit 40k) . I just noticed the other day two wrenches were flashing and it said -131 miles but only when I first start my car. There aren't any other lights that are popping up.
Since i'm new to this car I wasn't sure if I need to immediately go into a shop or not. The closest certified shop is over three hours away. My neighbor who is a mechanic said he's worked on them before. So I was just curious if I could go into a regular shop for the yearly check and what not. I just am very ahhh since I am new to this car and I would be heartbroken if anything were to happen.
So just read up on how to reset SMART 451 service indicator wrenches, if you have not already. have an oil and filter change, and then change every 3,000 miles there after. that will give you time to look around and find a service shop of your choice that you are comfortable with. Question ... Did you purchase you Smart from a private seller or a car dealer? A car dealer may be helpful in recommending a service shop for the time being.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
The smart car, isn’t a exotic car. Any qualified automotive service center can perform basic maintenance comprehensive service on your car. For over 8-9 years I’ve been using Christian brother Automotive on all my cars including the smart car. Nation wide automotive service. The MB dealership service department, is just too expensive. It’s a no brainer to change the oil in a smart car. If you fell like you want to crawl underneath it. The easiest car I performed that on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The smart car, isn’t a exotic car. Any qualified automotive service center can perform basic maintenance comprehensive service on your car. For over 8-9 years I’ve been using Christian brother Automotive on all my cars including the smart car. Nation wide automotive service. The MB dealership service department, is just too expensive. It’s a no brainer to change the oil in a smart car. If you fell like you want to crawl underneath it. The easiest car I performed that on.
Also change Air Filter, and Spark Plugs, and check and add if needed coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid. All of these thing are easy to do. Dealer mechanics will charge an arm and a leg. I don't know about you, but I need my two arms and my two legs.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Also change Air Filter, and Spark Plugs, and check and add if needed coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid. All of these thing are easy to do. Dealer mechanics will charge an arm and a leg. I don't know about you, but I need my two arms and my two legs.
There isn’t any power steering fluid. It’s a electric powered rack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I own a 2008 and a 2013 SMART cars Passion For Two. The 2008 does not have Power Steering. The 2013 does have Power Steering and it uses Power Steering Fluid.

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
I own a 2008 and a 2013 SMART cars Passion For Two. The 2008 does not have Power Steering. The 2013 does have Power Steering and it uses Power Steering Fluid.
Where do you add the fluid to top it up? :)

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Where is the power steering pump located. The reservoir? It doesn’t have either, It’s a electric powered steering system. The major of new cars on the road are electric.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Electric power steering was an option, as I recall. VS manual power steering. Anyone compared the effort between the two?

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
No, because 451s either came with no power steering or the optional EPS. :)

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Electric power steering was an option, as I recall. VS manual power steering. Anyone compared the effort between the two?
You could feel the difference, at a dead start. Backing up. The electric power steering, is Effortless one finger.

My year, the power steering was offered, with the comfort package option.

·
Registered
580 Posts
No, because 451s either came with no power steering or the optional EPS. :)
I was thinking of those out there with multiple smarts. Someone may have both options. Or someone who bought new, and remembers the difference. PS is usually pretty significant. If you've ever had it cut out on you while driving on some cars, it can be quite exciting. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
You could feel the difference, at a dead start. Backing up. The electric power steering, is Effortless one finger.

My year, the power steering was offered, with the comfort package option.
Thanks. I figured it might make a difference. I have 3 myself, and have never looked to see what has what.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts