Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! New member here! From Philly where road rage is alive and well, and parking is a complete PITA in the center city area. I just purchased a 2009 Passion Coupe with 43K on it and I'm psyched to use it for commuting to work. It's only about 13 miles each way, a little highway and then a bunch of twistys.

I think the tires on it are still the original conti procontacts which are pretty horrible. I am thinking of getting 15x6 wheels with 195/50 tires from tirerack but the question is do I really need to add the TPMS units?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

· Registered
126 Posts
You can move the TPMS sensors fromm your old rims to the new rims. Or buy 4 new TMPS sensors. I ran 4 of the
Rial 15X6 wheels with 40psi in the tires, on my 2008 for 3 years. I was VERY happy with handling and MPG. In my
opinion the smart should leave the factory with 15X6 on all 4 corners............................

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY23 Bolt
8,204 Posts
You can move the TPMS sensors from your old rims to the new rims.
magallanas, welcome to SCoA!

If the OP is running original Conti’s his MY09 TPMS are likely dead or near end of life?

If a tire change is in order part of the decision is add new sensors or put a piece of black tape over the symbol???

New sensors are NOT a cheap date, probably +$250…

Obviously, if you have the equipment, a DIYer can save some money by breaking the bead, R&R tires & sensors, balance etc…

· Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,155 Posts
TPMS sensors can be found at RockAuto.

I would get two rear OEM rims, 5.5 wide, and put them on the front.

Either 175/55R15 or 185/55R15 on all four tires becomes possible.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to go with these since finding a set of rear wheels (used) to place on the front seems near impossible:

And these tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac&partnum=95VR5QT

New tire sensors installed in the wheel set are $38 a piece, so maybe I'll just tell them to forgo that. I think I'll notice if a tire is low and if needed carry a can or two of fixaflat or something else if people here suggest it.

· Registered
366 Posts
Check out ebay listing 203714528926 and 203589250201 that is what you need

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.