Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've gotta love a car company that has big balls, meaning that they are willing to take design risks. Nissan has proven itself to be among the more fearless at pushing boundaries with their quirky production vehicles. Love them or hate them, they do keep design conversations moving forward.

A couple of years ago, Nissan teased a concept called the BladeGlider. Now the model has been substantially refined, shown here in a new (actually drivable) concept:

https://www.netcarshow.com/nissan/2016-bladeglider_concept/?ref=ios

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stevevillatoro,

I couldn't agree more! I have a Nissan Cube and love it or hate it its defiantly quirky! This BladeGlider is really cool! I love the profile from the rear the best!

I want one!

hartmn

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stevevillatoro,

Great minds think alike! Do you think they will actually go to production? More over do you think they'll make one for U.S. sales?

hartmn

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great minds think alike! Do you think they will actually go to production?

The odds are against it. Extravagant designs are usually done as brand image-building exercises.

As interesting as the concept is, I'm not a fan of current Nissan and Lexus origami design languages.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I think that is neat looking.

I love the way the doors open.

I think it has a nice profile.

I like the dash. Since the seat is in the middle - driver seat, perhaps easier to make since one does not have to make it right hand or left hand drive?

:nerd:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never will happen. Imaginary concept drawing.

Much more than an imaginary concept drawing – read the first post in this thread.

It's roadworthy and very drivable. Automotive journalists have ridden in it on the racetrack, and it's worth the time to read their write-ups.

Even if it's unlikely to be built as shown, Nissan gets a pat on the back for design exploration. Concepts are all about testing and evaluation, including public reaction.

Don't say it will never happen – that's what some people used to say about the Elio. And look how close they are now to production.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nissan original?

I seem to recall Nissan is (or was) being sued by Don Panoz / Delta-Wing Design Group for stealing their "Intellectual Property" and design concept. Panoz / Delta Wing has raced various track versions of their car at LeMans and other events. The DeltaWing cars were powered by Nissan engines though. Not sure if they still are though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts