Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
17,451 Posts
I think there is a fewer amount of original smart owners still owning smarts. I still see lots of smarts on the roads, but these cars are getting into their second, third, and sometimes fourth owners nowadays. And in a weird way, that's a good thing. I'm seeing lots of young people picking up dirt cheap 451s as first cars, only cars, or commuters. So while smart may no longer sell cars here, it appears they will be enjoyed for years to come.

I still have my first three smarties, the two I bought new and the third I got for free. And these three have been pretty reliable. The most abused of the trio is my 2012 passion coupe. It offroads, it travels the country, it tows trailers. And until recently, it hadn't even seen a car wash in 3 years. The paint still shines like new, it still starts every time, and every once in a while I even get a whiff of "new car smell" from it. Despite 165,000 hard driven miles and even a fire (not the car's fault), I've really only needed to do regular maintenance, replace belts (twice), replace bearings (once), and install a new alternator after the original got caked up with mud. Easily the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and living proof that these cars can be insanely robust.

My fourth smart was a 2005 cabrio, unfortunately it was less reliable. It broke down so much that I became afraid to drive it out of town, which eventually motivated me to sell it.

Just under 100,000 smarts sold over 11 years is not the greatest sales numbers when you consider in 2008 alone smart sold 103,000 cars in Europe. It's a little worse when you consider that nearly 40% of all smarts sold in the US were sold in 2008-2009. That said, that's still darned near 100,000 smarts on the road in the US, which is still pretty impressive to me when you remember that Americans love big gas guzzlers. The real shame to me is how small events have gotten. And since smart no longer sponsors events (smarttimes) events are getting smaller worldwide. I wish I had a smart back in the days when meets could crack triple digits. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
QUOTE "The paint still shines like new, it still starts every time, and every once in a while I even get a whiff of "new car smell" from it."

Do you only get that "new car smell" after eating at Taco Bell? :)

Len

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
This photo of our small cars, was taken 5 years. All of them are now dinosaurs. We won’t see the 4 generation of the Honda Fit here. The only vehicles we still have along them. Are the Kia Soul, and my wife’s Accord Touring. Honda and Kia understands the NA market place. Smart, and Fiat failed at that department. You can’t just offer one small vehicle. My daughter inherited my little smart car. Drove it back and forth from college. She hated it. She bought herself a Jeep patriot. Loves it. Why smart didn’t have brand loyalty. This is our 2nd Honda Fit, one of the most dependable vehicle we’ve owned. I’ve owned 40 new and used car in the past.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
To bad, it didn’t catch on here. Another smart enthusiast, shot this photo of me, passing this sign.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
This photo of our small cars, was taken 5 years. All of them are now dinosaurs. We won’t see the 4 generation of the Honda Fit here. The only vehicles we still have along them. Are the Kia Soul, and my wife’s Accord Touring. Honda and Kia understands the NA market place. Smart, and Fiat failed at that department. You can’t just offer one small vehicle. My daughter inherited my little smart car. Drove it back and forth from college. She hated it. She bought herself a Jeep patriot. Loves it. Why smart didn’t have brand loyalty. This is our 2nd Honda Fit, one of the most dependable vehicle we’ve owned. I’ve owned 40 new and used car in the past.
I like the size of the Fiat but I couldn’t get into the look of it. The darn smart just caught my eye more. When I see a smart on my little island it just puts a smile on my face! Lol too bad they are going extinct! 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I would have purchased at smart for four. Completely more practical then the 2 seat model. The rear seats folded completely down flat. The rear seats also folded like the magic seat, in a Honda Fit. Hauling a bicycle. loading a large TV though the rear seats. MB didn’t feel there was a market here for that model. Like there was for the for two. I wish I lived in European countries. There would be a mono colored bright red Brabus one in my garage. A ICE one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I would have purchased at smart for four. Completely more practical then the 2 seat model. The rear seats folded completely down flat. The rear seats also folded like the magic seat, in a Honda Fit. Hauling a bicycle. loading a large TV though the rear seats. MB didn’t feel there was a market here for that model. Like there was for the for two. I wish I lived in European countries. There would be a mono colored bright red Brabus one in my garage. A ICE one.

This is a nice one! Normally I am not a fan of red but this is nice! Silver or charcoal gray for me please! 😃

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Super excited for you Penny! Please start a thread when it arrives and post some pics and your initial thoughts after driving it! :)
Thanks Tux! I will surely do that! I’m excited and am ready for the in depth cleaning I’m about to do with the interior!! I need to disinfect for sure!! Although it’s been “detailed” it’s not up to my standards! I’m so anal about my vehicles! 😂

81 - 94 of 94 Posts