Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even my mechanic doesn’t know! I recently failed my first required California smog check, and it had something to do with a CC, or the lack of one??

(UPDATE: I finally found out that there is indeed a small catalytic built into the muffler, after talking with my Canadian parts connection. I ❤ Canadians!)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Even my mechanic doesn’t know! I recently failed my first required California smog check, and it had something to do with a CC, or the lack of one??

Absolutely the car is supposed to have a cat converter. It probably has one but it's tiny and/or difficult to see. OR, a prior owner may have cut it out and that can get you in a world of trouble you'll never want to deal with. Try to get us some pictures so some of us here can point it out to you. Take the picture from underneath the car near the rear bumper, between the bumper and the engine block. Also remove the trunk liner and take a picture from the top down so we can see the engine. We'll point it out for you.

·
17,356 Posts
Provided yours is an officially converted 450 it's definitely supposed to have one. Perhaps the person performing the smog check didn't know how to locate it? Unfortunately I know of a guy who performs smog checks who failed some cars for having the "wrong" cat or no cats when the cars clearly were in compliance per a BAR Referee.

But just in case, I have to second Mister_smart_LA's suggestion.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Several 450 exhausts have the cat built Inside the muffler to save space.
For states that require a 'visual' before any equipment is put on the tailpipe, you'll have to get one that is VISUAL as well, like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Catalytic-Converter-End-Silencer-Estate-Smart-Coupe-Fortwo-Cabriolet-0-6-0-7/153323462961

I ended up finding a Brabus center exit rear valance and getting an exhaust that has it built inside because in CO, they will test it and if it passes, they over ride the visual fail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you, Mister_Smart_LA! I will get those pics and post them, probably tomorrow. It’s definitely a legit G&K stock conversion, and I’m the first owner, so I’m ok with that. I’m also waiting on a return call from the BAR (Board of Auto Repair) referee here in L.A.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, mailman! The smog check tech did a computer reading only—no visual check. This fail had something to do with missing or misunderstood data from my onboard computer, and could very well be because the guy didn’t understand the whole gray market issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was under the impression G&K had to add another catalytic converter very close to Turbo manifold as well as the one "built" into the "muffler" casing.
I will know this week when my Catless exhaust gets here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts