Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a smart right now and have seen some intriguing pics of smarts pulling trailers both here and elsewhere. Other than camper trailers, what else are people towing with their smarts? If I get one, I think I'd like to pick up one of the lightweight fiberglass enclosed cargo trailers. I had a smaller motorcycle trailer I used to pull with a grand am that weight about 200lbs. I was able to yank it up the stairs in the basement when not in use.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Officially, smarts are not supposed to tow according to the dealers. BUT they do tow in Europe. As long as the trailer is a small lightweight rig, and you keep the load smal, you should be OK. A motorcycle trailer is just about the right size. Just remember, you only have a 1,000cc motor there.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
We tow a fiberglass motorcyle sized trailer that we purchased at Harbor Freight. It is light weight, I can lift and pull it across the yard. On sale it was about $300.00. We have put at least 5000 miles on the car while pulling the trailer, probably more. We've carried camping gear in the trailer and also transported 2 feed sacks full of "hickory" smoking wood to our son on one trip. The car doesn't even know the trailers there.

We have also pulled a 5X8 trailer with 3 sheets of drywall on it for a distance of 20 miles. Our car was the only one available with a hitch.

We purchased a Curt hitch through an on line vendor and my hubby installed it.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
We had a custom hitch made. And I picked up a yard trailer form a local landscape guy who needed a real one to load his mowers onto.
I removed about 100 pounds from it and now use it to take our products to market. I do everything I can to cut the weight.
Specifically just large enough to carry an EZ-UP tent

·
Registered
672 Posts
My trailer weighs 285 pounds, and the wheelchair weighs under 200 pounds, so I'm pulling a total weight of under 500 pounds. The tongue weight on the trailer is under 50 pounds though.

·
Registered
946 Posts
We have towed our regular style box trailer (used for our musical group) with approximately 400 pounds of load, but only in a local manner. The car had no problems with the tow itself, but it was very clear that the trailer was back there when towing, unlike when towed by our Scion xB.

Tongue weight was minimal, this due to careful loading of the trailer.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I want to weigh in, even though I haven't towed anything with my smart ...
I'm wondering why I see questions periodically which question even the possibility of towing a lightweight trailer with a smart.

It's a car. A small car, granted, but a car. It has enough umph to get up to 70MPH on any Interstate on-ramp I've ever seen. Why wouldn't it be able to tow a lightweight trailer?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
We tow around 500lbs with a tongue weight of around 30lbs. I say around, as it depends on how much stuff we stack on top. :D

We run 70 on F-way and occasionally down shift to 4 on steep hills. A2Jack

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm wondering why I see questions periodically which question even the possibility of towing a lightweight trailer with a smart.

It's a car. A small car, granted, but a car. It has enough umph to get up to 70MPH on any Interstate on-ramp I've ever seen. Why wouldn't it be able to tow a lightweight trailer?
Only problem I see is it might be Smart's "notorious" soft clutch. So one needs to be a bit careful when maneuvering around.

We only tow trailer from point A to B. Then get out and hand push the trailer exactly where we want it. Saves wear and tear on the clutch. A2Jack

·
Registered
5,944 Posts

There shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the weight down. Even some of the smaller teardrop trailers sometimes weigh 500-700 Lb or more (unloaded). IMO that's still a bit heavy for a smart. There have been a few builds on the teardrop trailer forum that are around 300 Lb and I think that would be better for a Smart. Buy the time you put a bit of gear in the trailer you'd be 400 Lb or so. If you want a really light-weight trailer (250 Lb range), you have to design it lightweight to begin with and likely build it yourself.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I don't have a trailer or hitch yet but my main need for one is I have two kayaks just sitting until I get something to carry them in.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Used to tow a harbor freight with my '08 smart and a curt hitch, now have a '16 and hitches are hard to come by. I installed a hitch from Germany today, nicely made but not cheap. Can't wait to try it out but don't know if the suppied 50mm ball will work with my 1.25" trailer.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,604 Posts
There is a thread on Club smart Car from Canada that shows a 451 ED towing a Jeep, a Chevrolet p u and a Ford F250 p u with a tow strap. First one at a time and then all three in a line. Fun video to show how much torque the ED has. The owner did say he put some kind of power box on the smart, but it only increased the torque by a few foot pounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used to tow a harbor freight with my '08 smart and a curt hitch, now have a '16 and hitches are hard to come by. I installed a hitch from Germany today, nicely made but not cheap. Can't wait to try it out but don't know if the suppied 50mm ball will work with my 1.25" trailer.
Can you send me a link to the German hitch for a 453 build

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
There shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the weight down. Even some of the smaller teardrop trailers sometimes weigh 500-700 Lb or more (unloaded). IMO that's still a bit heavy for a smart. There have been a few builds on the teardrop trailer forum that are around 300 Lb and I think that would be better for a Smart. Buy the time you put a bit of gear in the trailer you'd be 400 Lb or so. If you want a really light-weight trailer (250 Lb range), you have to design it lightweight to begin with and likely build it yourself.
Harbor Freight and Northern Tool both carry lightweight trailers, I bought from H/F and had to assemble it. It actually fit in my smart, with the passenger seat down. It's lightweight enough that I can push it by myself from the front yard to the back, empty. IMHO it's perfect for what should be towed with a smart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts