Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you think the gray market cars resale value is going to tank when the 2008

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Peddlecar 
A good independant auto mechanic can pretty much do what a dealer's service department can - and cheaper. My intent is to acquire copies of the 451 service and parts manuals to be available to an independant mechanic if needed.

I understand getting those documents for a grey 450 is problematic as M-B is reluctant to part with them. But by law they must be made available for any vehicle legitimately marketed in the U.S. (which the 450 was not).

BTW, I prefer the spelling "grey" when referring to the color; "Gray" is my clan name (Clan Gray of Lanark). Anchor Fast Anchor!

Every time you think you have a handle of what is going on, another little scrap of info gets in the way. The Fortune/Penske article said that the PAG M/O was to bring in just customer cars and not have

"Analyzing confirmations" was just my term for studying the first 1000 confirmations. Batches of 1000(s) makes sense. I have to think that he is using the first 1000 as a model for ordering common dealer inventory. But are those liable to be carved out of the 20K-25K? Who takes priority, us or the dealers?

Considering that the rest of the world has been supplied with beaucoup 450s for years now (to no great profit to M-BCG), I hope the lion's share of production will come in this direction. And I hope he is ordering plenty of changes of color panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.