Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you think the gray market cars resale value is going to tank when the 2008

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Peddlecar 
I guess my question is, how hard is it to get a gray market car repaired? It may be the case that even after the dealships are around the gray market car may not be supported very well? If this is true, the value will plumet to below a comparable USA version.

The USA version is not better in the gas mileage department, but it's better riding, handling, so on, will make it a far better car for the US market.

The dealerships, are not going to be allowed to change the retail price. The destination charge will be different based on distance to get them to the dealership, but other then that they will be the same.

I wouldn't buy a gray car right now, even if it were the same price, just because of my concerns for service??? Maybe these aren't real concerns, but I think I'm the average guy?

You never know what will really happen, but I talked to Smartusa the other day and specifically asked the question about pricing. The said "the retail price is fixed". They also said, that I can choose which dealer I work with, which is important to me, since I'm in Des Moines.

Normally Feldman in Minneapolis would probably get my area, but I go to Kansas City all of the time, so I would rather buy from a dealer there if possible.

One other thing they told me about availability. They said that being in a small market may be to your advantage. The supply for the smaller markets will be higher relative to the demand created from the orders.

Of course they can say anything, but we won't know for sure until it happens. I would go grey market right now if it wasn't for the 451 coming soon, so it almost has to be effecting demand, which effects the price.

What I got from "Smart" was that I would be assigned a dealer normally, but could make a request for a different dealer. My order would then be made through that dealer and my car built to spec and sent to that dealer.

I don't think you can order from one dealer, and then tell them you want to pick one up from another dealer. You can change dealer, but you will need to do it before the confirmation order.

Who is the rumored dealer in Kansas City??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.