Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you think the gray market cars resale value is going to tank when the 2008

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Peddlecar 
I think it all depends on how collectable the first generation becomes. Overseas they are everywhere but here they are pretty rare so in the USA they might end up being collectors items and hence somewhat valuable. They are quite different and somewhat more "pure" in concept than the one we'll be buying- hence the possibilty of collectability.

sure, but only once there becomes 451 inventory to purchase. As long as it takes 6 - 12 months to get a new 451, the grey market prices will remain inflated.

As will the price of nearly new 451's that unscupulous people will resell for a quick profit to the impatient on line. I think the crazy ordering process PAG has installed is guaranteed to and is calculated to produce this result (like the first Mini Coopers) which will end up leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth except for the greedy dealers and the guys who ordered early just to resell who are rubbing their hands anticipating a killing.

I think the first 451's will go for even more than the grey market cars because they'll have parts back up and a real warantee.

p.s. I hope I'm wrong in all of this!

When looking at the differential of grey cars cost to our list prices I think it is premature to assume we will not be paying above list for our smarts just yet. I can imagine many ways our dealers could "dress up" our cars with added charges and say to us - take it or leave it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.