Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I´m looking to buy my first smart and came upon a 2013 Fortwo Passion 84cv which car looks well kept. However, the factory wheels were replaced (with the help of an 3-5 adapter) with 17" MB alloy wheels and I was wondering how safe this mod is. Also, do you think it might be a source of rattling? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,555 Posts
Hiya! They may cause more wear on components, but it should be safe to drive if they were mounted correctly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Correct. More rotating mass = less power. Larger diameter wheels = worse acceleration also, due to a difference in gear reduction it causes.

Real fun one though. Same or less rotating mass can also = less power if the mass is concentrated toward the outer edges of a larger orbit. A larger wheel with a shorter tire, even at the same diameter, robs more power because the weight is further from the fulcrum. Big wheels will feel sporty, but slow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With so little tire sidewall, I'd bet you feel every little bump.

As if these cars need any help in that regard....

And you might lose a tire or break a wheel if you hit a medium sized pothole.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
They sure look nice. Ride must quality sucks. Better handling, for such a low profile tire. Smart cars aren’t that fast with stock wheels. Couldn’t be any worst then the Brabus wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts