Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow ED drivers,
I've been toying with vh.smart.com web app since I got the car about a week ago. I understand what it is capable of, but I'm curious to hear from those who actually use it for something, or tried to using it but decided not to.
Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
Use it all the time (so far)

I've been using it to monitor the SOC and to set the departure time so we get the car warmed up before leaving.

The data looks like it could be good for logging battery usage and state of charge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did at first, but the reliability wasn't that good. It was a novelty. Now I just don't really need it. I know how long it takes to charge the car and can plan accordingly. I don't need to check its progress on my phone. I can't really plan when I'm going to leave the house on any given day, and I could never get the pre-warming feature to work anyway. I haven't used the website in months.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I could never get the pre-warming feature to work anyway.
The pre-warm doesn't work below a certain charge level, but its been 100% reliable for me.

When we've been getting ready to leave I just pull out my phone and set the departure time for now+15 min. The car definitely became non-freezing, which is good enough for me!

The time setting mechanism on the phone could use some UX rework. At least on my 4S its cramped and can be annoying if the time is at 3 or 9 on the dial. The set button is 70% off the bottom of the browser screen. Clearly the dev as a bigger screen than me :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use the pre departure all the time, so far only to warm, not cool yet. It's not 100% reliable. I don't think it work at all with the Level 1 EVSE, but works pretty well with the Level 2.

It also appears that you have to set it every time. I wish there was a way to make a schedule so it warms the same time every M-F with separate weekend times.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leaving aside the quirky UI, what missing functionality would everyone like to see in this app? Perhaps this forum thread would catch the app developers' attention and our wish might come true some day :) Or we can just dream, right?

Ability to download car diagnostic information would be nice.

I guess the car doesn't have any GPS hardware, just cellular data capability. If it did, "Find Your Car" could be a useful feature.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ok, so while we're dreaming:
-turn on heater or AC that actually works
-turn on lights, sound horn, etc. to replace the defunct "find my car"
-standard data: odometer, consumption readouts, next service due, etc
-diagnostic data: everything else i.e. error codes, battery voltages current, capacities, temperatures, ... basically everything available in Xentry.

I'd be willing to pay for this service, especially if it includes all the diagnostic stuff!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Leaving aside the quirky UI
Sadly, that's the biggest deal killer, that and the demand for Chrome to work right most times. While it can work in other browsers, it get more "quirky" when you do so.

I use it for pre-heating on occasion, but otherwise there's nothing it can really do, as that really is the only thing that changes anything in the car. You can read some stats, and plan a trip, but the UI makes those functions more of a hassle than a bonus.

I'd really love to see the ability to do most things one can do on the console, at a minimum. Display/reset trip counters and setting alerts for charge states (done, interrupted, started, etc). Service indicators and code would be great too.

Sadly, most of the stuff one would want to set with such a program isn't even offered as a feature in the smart. Settable charging time(s), custom temperature settings, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i use it on occasion, but being here in "sunny" california, havent really needed the pre heat function. i also use it to monitor the charge of the car... but recently it has thrown my car into KM instead of MI.... does anyone know how to change that back? o_O"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A friend of mine told me today that where he plugs in for charge during the day at work, other people unplug the charge cable from his car and move it to their own car if his car appears to have finished charging. He said "It will be really nice if I get a text message when charge reaches 100% or if someone else unplugs the charge connection so I can go move my car."

Perhaps one of us should write a proxy server that uses vh.smart.com as the back end but provides a better UI and some additional features like historical data dump, some neat data analysis, push notifications, and such :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
A friend of mine told me today that where he plugs in for charge during the day at work, other people unplug the charge cable from his car and move it to their own car if his car appears to have finished charging. He said "It will be really nice if I get a text message when charge reaches 100% or if someone else unplugs the charge connection so I can go move my car."

Perhaps one of us should write a proxy server that uses vh.smart.com as the back end but provides a better UI and some additional features like historical data dump, some neat data analysis, push notifications, and such :)
How do you tell if the Smart is done charging from outside the car?

I've been trying to figure out a way to have it set the charge and depart time everyday. I have a Vera home automation system, but I'm not a developer so haven't been able to reverse engineer the login and button clicks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
vh.smart.com notifications

There's a "I'm charged" notification email feature on the web portal. I just turned it on so I don't know if it works.

That said, its possible to login to the site from script and grab the vehicle data. So you can certainly poll the info.

It also appears like you might be able to reset the charge and depart time. The charge and depart timer is set based on the number of minutes from midnight. So it would have to be reset every day. sigh.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts