Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '08 451 continues to sit with some kind of transmission issue. If I buy a used transmission and install it, will I need a STAR diagnostics unit to reinitialize the transmission?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It shouldn't. There are aspects that a STAR can adjust, but it isn't absolutely required.

some kind of transmission issue
From what I have seen few transmission failures are due to the actual transmission; it could be you have the unusual example with a failure in the transmission, but it's far more likely going to be one of the electronic components. What diagnostic codes are you getting? Have you checked the shift motors, clutch actuator, TCU, and related harness?

It's entirely possible that an unrelated piece of equipment is faulty and it's interrupting regular operation of the canbus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI - the reason that I ask is this text out of the workshop manual:

Initializing
The initialization must be performed using STAR DIAGNOSIS after the following activities:
Removal of transmission
Removal of one or both transmission motors
Replacement of automated manual transmission control unit

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have no doubt the manual calls for it, I don't doubt it's useful too, but in most circumstances I don't think you'll need it. I swapped both shift motors and didn't need it. I did take time to ensure everything was lined up, but I'm not certain that was necessary. I'm not a pro and I'm still learning the car myself so understand my comments are based solely on what I have experienced .

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
You’ll find out, if it does or not! Before I’d buy a used transmission. Spend the time swapping it out. You might check you car for any transmission codes. Might just be a software issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts