Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all about them, but looking at cars for sale, I still haven't seen a single car with the paddles. I've only seen a couple with cruise control even.

If so - how do you like them?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,783 Posts
What he said...

No longer an option on the 451 ED. Ordered our ED with the optional regen paddles, should have been standard feature.

Find that I use them in the city but seldom at constant speed on the highway.

Adds to the ED fun factor but in reality, little impact on range.

Both cruise and regen will be hard to find in the pre-owned inventories.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We have the cruise control option. Use it all the time. I have often wondered how the paddles work. I use a light tight touch on the brake pedal and that gets the regen way up. Do the paddles do the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've had the paddles on my roadster since 2004 and love them, can't imagine it would be anywhere near as much fun without them, I've just added extentions to them and really like the feel of the bigger paddles, makes it even easier to change gear now!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,783 Posts
I have often wondered how the paddles work. I use a light tight touch on the brake pedal and that gets the regen way up. Do the paddles do the same thing?
With ED's 70ish mile range and the choice of cruise or regeneration paddles, paddles won out.

All ED's offer regen but the paddle option can enhance the experience. While the "default" is "factory" the plus/minus gives you the option of enhanced regen or none at all, freewheeling.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The paddles are a must for me. Waited an extra two months to order mine. It's a completely different experience driving! D- is best for out-of town: to coast on slight downhills just take the foot of the go pedal and the car seems to float on air. D+ in the city is like driving a go-kart.

As MB said not a range improvement.

No dealer ever has cars with paddles on their lots. So today, used is the only way to get paddles. I'd rather buy used with paddles than new without (plus that's much cheaper), but it will be tough to find them!

Let's hope the 453 will have paddles!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I know two smart car owners who would fiercely disagree. One of them owns two smart EVs. He told me he found ways to get an extra 15 or so miles just having paddles alone. Another believes he gains around the same. It's definitely a discussion worth having.

·
Registered
832 Posts
While I'm a big paddle-fanboi, I'd question that the paddles alone can make that much difference. You can achieve the same efficiency without them, by very careful use of the go and break pedals. It's just much harder (for me).

The paddles make it easier to drive more efficiently: coast instead of regen and then need to accelerate more; maximize regen before applying friction brakes. But it can be done without them.

YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone ever successfully added them to an ED that didn't come with them? I wonder if it's at least the same steering wheel as the gas Smart?

On my ED I noticed throttle-off feels like the low regen everyone mentions, and very light braking makes the car have high regen. I'm guessing to get the "Coast" mode you'd have to shift to N or press the gas just hard enough so that it doesn't regen. Doing this I can control the regen pretty accurately but it's a LOT more work than the paddles sound like.

·
Super Moderator
7,783 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully added them to an ED that didn't come with them? I wonder if it's at least the same steering wheel as the gas Smart?
Simple answer, no.

With really deep pockets, anything is po$$ible . . . :shrug:

ED's generally come with a 2-spoke steering wheel. Upgrade to regen and you get an ICE 3-spoke wheel w/paddles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I'm a big paddle-fanboi, I'd question that the paddles alone can make that much difference. You can achieve the same efficiency without them, by very careful use of the go and break pedals. It's just much harder (for me).

The paddles make it easier to drive more efficiently: coast instead of regen and then need to accelerate more; maximize regen before applying friction brakes. But it can be done without them.

YMMV
I love those paddles. While I believe I've been able to improve range somewhat (by as much as 5, maybe as much as 10 percent) in the city on a good day, I love setting the paddles in the D+ mode for all driving (even the highway) primarily for the "sports car like" control when approaching an intersection to turn either left or right. The control I'm referring to is the aggressive slowing down because of the regen going on, enabling me the ability to keep the right foot on the gas pedal (instead of the brake) just so I can get ready to nail it out of the corner and into the flat part of the "track", effectively emulating a Porsche 911, at a very cheap price!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The paddles are a must for me. Waited an extra two months to order mine. It's a completely different experience driving! D- is best for out-of town: to coast on slight downhills just take the foot of the go pedal and the car seems to float on air. D+ in the city is like driving a go-kart.

As MB said not a range improvement.

No dealer ever has cars with paddles on their lots. So today, used is the only way to get paddles. I'd rather buy used with paddles than new without (plus that's much cheaper), but it will be tough to find them!

Let's hope the 453 will have paddles!
But. Did you try contacting me though? 0:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts