Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my search for new (to me) Smart I came across this. It's not being advertised as a turbo car (at a dealer) and the engine bay is pretty dirty usually a bad sign, as is buying mystery modded cars. I know the photos aren't great, but does anyone recognize the kit or was this a member heres car?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no turbo in the photos.
I assumed it was a bit further down (following the intake tube) the car has a defi boost gauge mounted near the cup holder. I have never seen the smart engine bay in person, so I'm not familiar with the layout.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
It's hard to see - tried to find it on jsenka's car last weekend and you really have to look under the rear valence to see the turbo. That said, it has to be an aftermarket turbo and the dealer likely knows nothing about the installation. :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
For clarification let me reword, there is no turbo in that car in the photos. The only piping to the intake is via the after market filter and intake.

They could have a boost gauge shoved wherever you like and that would still not make it a turbo car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to see - tried to find it on jsenka's car last weekend and you really have to look under the rear valence to see the turbo. That said, it has to be an aftermarket turbo and the dealer likely knows nothing about the installation. :)
That or they are hiding it. I've had a few turbo cars in the past (and currently a Supercharged Exige) and these can tend to be a nightmare (unknown kits I mean). but its really really tempting!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For clarification let me reword, there is no turbo in that car in the photos. The only piping to the intake is via the after market filter and intake.

They could have a boost gauge shoved wherever you like and that would still not make it a turbo car.
Thats true too, but most fakers don't spend $250+ on a Defi gauge when they could spend $30 on an ebay special. As I said, I'm not familiar with this car yet, it could have had one at one time and was removed but left the gauge behind. After all it has Braubus gauges as well, but it's no Braubus. That car is a little over 100miles away from me, so I can't just drive by and check it out.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
As you said POD, it may of had a turbo at one time but none now...SFR is about the only aftermarket kit available for the smart...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Small note, but this Smart has the 2011 and on glovebox door.

It seems this owner had a thing for options, but that's about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info everyone, thought I had a "barn find". Also, can anyone tell me what that vertical control panel is under the under the dash? Is it a common mod or a custom fabbed up thing?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone, thought I had a "barn find". Also, can anyone tell me what that vertical control panel is under the under the dash?
No... that's a custom add on too. My bet is it had a turbo system in it and it was removed before sale. Someone put a good bit of $$$ into this... those tweeters above the doors are all custom as well.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
No... that's a custom add on too. My bet is it had a turbo system in it and it was removed before sale. Someone put a good bit of $$$ into this... those tweeters above the doors are all custom as well.
As is the Brabus steering wheel. That wheel isn't available on US spec smarts. I would be very leary of that one. No telling how hard it was beat on, or if the tune was correct. That thing could just be waiting to grenade...:blowingup:

·
Registered
274 Posts
As is the Brabus steering wheel. That wheel isn't available on US spec smarts. I would be very leary of that one. No telling how hard it was beat on, or if the tune was correct. That thing could just be waiting to grenade...:blowingup:
That looks like a standard wheel that was just rebadged.... it would go along with the rest of the car... also those are custom paddle shifters... and they don't look like Matt's either... I didn't know anyone else was making custom billet shifters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I contacted the dealer and they said the previous owner did the upgrades (including the "turbo" but it was traded in for another Merc. I just asked for a photo of the turbo itself so standing by. If anyone wants to check it out in person, it is located at Tom Masano Mercedes in Reading, PA.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
So I contacted the dealer and they said the previous owner did the upgrades (including the "turbo" but it was traded in for another Merc. I just asked for a photo of the turbo itself so standing by. If anyone wants to check it out in person, it is located at Tom Masano Mercedes in Reading, PA.
Can't wait to see this photo. Mainly because it's not there. I'm sure that's a Boesch Built intake with a Smart Madness silicone adapter to go from the side inlet. No turbo anywhere...

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...by the pictures it could have a turbo...we just can't see it...
..by the same picture the air is coming to the engine the old fashioned way...
...if they say it has a turbo ask them if the car is EPA certified...

Jetfuel...I've seen a turbo in a smart...and that's not it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't wait to see this photo. Mainly because it's not there. I'm sure that's a Boesch Built intake with a Smart Madness silicone adapter to go from the side inlet. No turbo anywhere...
I found a clear picture of a Smart engine bay. There is no way this is turbo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts