Smart Car of America Forum banner

Does anyone know this turbo car?

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  mk2mike 
#1 ·
So in my search for new (to me) Smart I came across this. It's not being advertised as a turbo car (at a dealer) and the engine bay is pretty dirty usually a bad sign, as is buying mystery modded cars. I know the photos aren't great, but does anyone recognize the kit or was this a member heres car?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It's hard to see - tried to find it on jsenka's car last weekend and you really have to look under the rear valence to see the turbo. That said, it has to be an aftermarket turbo and the dealer likely knows nothing about the installation. :)

#7 ·
Thats true too, but most fakers don't spend $250+ on a Defi gauge when they could spend $30 on an ebay special. As I said, I'm not familiar with this car yet, it could have had one at one time and was removed but left the gauge behind. After all it has Braubus gauges as well, but it's no Braubus. That car is a little over 100miles away from me, so I can't just drive by and check it out.

#14 ·
So I contacted the dealer and they said the previous owner did the upgrades (including the "turbo" but it was traded in for another Merc. I just asked for a photo of the turbo itself so standing by. If anyone wants to check it out in person, it is located at Tom Masano Mercedes in Reading, PA.

#16 ·
...by the pictures it could have a turbo...we just can't see it...
..by the same picture the air is coming to the engine the old fashioned way...
...if they say it has a turbo ask them if the car is EPA certified...

Jetfuel...I've seen a turbo in a smart...and that's not it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.