Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice there is a kind of jump starter+air compressor all in one offer in amazon? does it worth to buy? It claims to have 15000mHA battery and 1500A.

·
I'll figger this car out
371 Posts
I have one of these Diehard jump starters, in all 5 of our cars. The only car that doesn’t have a spare tire. Is the smart car. There is air pump is already in that car.

View attachment 70212
View attachment 70211
Sadly, my used 2009 came without a compressor, just a small bottle of sealer that was already useless due to being hardened like a brick.
Does anyone have a used OEM compressor that they would like to sell? I understand that these compressors are quite good. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Sadly, my used 2009 came without a compressor, just a small bottle of sealer that was already useless due to being hardened like a brick.
Does anyone have a used OEM compressor that they would like to sell? I understand that these compressors are quite good. Thanks in advance.
Contact this firm. Give them a call. They sell salvage smart car parts.

Automotive lighting Font Screenshot Electronic device Electric blue

·
I'll figger this car out
371 Posts

View attachment 70254
I just keep one of these in the boot:
Thanks for the reference. I happen to know that this is an MBUSA compressor. I have only seen a larger orange compressor that used to be used for the 2008+ Passion cars. Maybe these guys will have it?

·
I'll figger this car out
371 Posts

View attachment 70254
Thanks for the reference. I happen to know that this is an MBUSA compressor. I have only seen a larger orange compressor that used to be used for the 2008+ Passion cars. Maybe these guys will have it?
The bottom one listed is perhaps the orange one, the top one is an MBUSA model, he said wanting to be painfully correct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suggest the small Smart OEM compressor and a separate jump-starter. My guess is that combined units will be larger and aren't terribly good at either job, and being able to replace them independently is a plus.

On the jump-starter part: A disadvantage of battery-based units is that they have to be recharged periodically even if they're not used. I have one of these new-fangled ultra-capacitor jump-starters that self-charges off your dead battery - seriously, it really does! - so it's always ready for use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GK4PKKD/

It's pretty compact and (without the box) should fit nicely in a ForTwo tailgate storage compartment. If you're interested, I wrote a long Amazon review that includes my impressions and some helpful tips:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R15I7C23DEZDFF

Yes, it's more expensive than a battery-based unit, and no, I don't have any financial interest in them.

·
I'll figger this car out
371 Posts
I suggest the small Smart OEM compressor and a separate jump-starter. My guess is that combined units will be larger and aren't terribly good at either job, and being able to replace them independently is a plus.

On the jump-starter part: A disadvantage of battery-based units is that they have to be recharged periodically even if they're not used. I have one of these new-fangled ultra-capacitor jump-starters that self-charges off your dead battery - seriously, it really does! - so it's always ready for use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GK4PKKD/

It's pretty compact and (without the box) should fit nicely in a ForTwo tailgate storage compartment. If you're interested, I wrote a long Amazon review that includes my impressions and some helpful tips:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R15I7C23DEZDFF

Yes, it's more expensive than a battery-based unit, and no, I don't have any financial interest in them.
Elbadoo,
Thanks for the info. Is the supercapacitor just a one-shot auto jumper, or can it operate as a power supply as well? I might need that if the battery is used to do other things, loike operate a 12V impact wrench to remove a tire when changing a spare. My plan is to have a spare in the smart. I have just picked up another smart and it is pretty much complete but had a blown engine that was replaced, then the windshield was smashed while parked and uninsured, so it was sold to me. also a black 2009 451, so I have twins now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Elbadoo,
Thanks for the info. Is the supercapacitor just a one-shot auto jumper, or can it operate as a power supply as well? I might need that if the battery is used to do other things, loike operate a 12V impact wrench to remove a tire when changing a spare. My plan is to have a spare in the smart. I have just picked up another smart and it is pretty much complete but had a blown engine that was replaced, then the windshield was smashed while parked and uninsured, so it was sold to me. also a black 2009 451, so I have twins now!
The supercapacitor jumpstarter I recommended is specifically designed to deliver the large jolt of power needed to turn over an engine - all at once. I haven't tried it, but as far as I know it doesn't have a provision for delivering a lower level of power over a longer period of time.

If you want something for that purpose then you're probably better off with a lithium-ion-type battery, but you'll have to keep it charged so it's always ready when you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts